Q. There is a white patch behind my baby's ear. Is it curable?

Answered by
Dr. Chaitra. P
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sneha Kannan
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 22, 2019

Hi doctor,

My son is 14 months old and a normal baby. He has developed white patches or spot behind ear and back of the neck. According to my knowledge, it is present since birth or from the time he was three months old. My father has eczema in his leg. The patches do not spread but with time, they seem to enlarge. I am much worried. I want to know what is that patch. Is it curable? Are there any chances of it spreading and becoming a permanent patch? Is there any way to cure? I have attached the pictures for your reference. Please help.



Welcome to

Thanks for sharing the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can notice the patches are forming lines. They are identified as birth marks. Just the way there are black moles present, similarly white moles are there.

These birth marks do not cause any health problem. They do not have any symptoms and will remain forever. Since it is not present on face, it will not affect cosmetically.

  1. These birth marks are not related to eczema (itching and bleeding skin blisters) they do not have any tendency to spread to other family members.
  2. With growth of a child, lot of changes will take place on skin. Few tend to stay forever, and some will disappear completely.
  3. As you have mentioned, if there are similar patches elsewhere too, there can be a possibility of leucoderma.
  4. Leucoderma - non-segmental vitiligo might increase with age. They cannot be easily identified at an early age.

Keep a record of photographs taken regularly and observe the change in size and color of the patch. For better analysis, get it checked with a dermatologist.

Thank you doctor,

The patches are forming lines towards ear. It is a coin shaped scattered pattern and very bright. I am worried if it would spread to neck or body. There is no patch on other body parts. What precaution should I take? Kindly suggest.



Welcome back to

As the child grows, the patch might become more visible as the skin gets tanned. There are very less chances that it will increase in size. No treatment is required now. With age, there are chances for it to disappear.

In adulthood, he can get the patches surgically corrected or even take light treatment. Wait till his puberty and check for any progress.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Surgical Management of Vitiligo

.. a good option for a patient who is not responding to medical treatment. But, patients are not aware of this option. This article discusses about surgical management of vitiligo .. ...   Read full

What could the lesions on the back of a 65-year-old man be?

.. viewed the images attached (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The dark spots are perhaps seborrheic keratosis which is a benign epidermal skin lesion. They are a part of aging and only of cosmetic concern. If desir...   Read full

I am suffering from eczema. There is redness in my cheeks. Using corticosteroid cream. Are there any side effects in using it?

Thank you doctor, I have discussed with you everything from the beginning. Kindly suggest the treatment of which doctor you think is better? Should I prefer the idea of laparoscopic ovarian drilling and then hysteroscopy for submucosal fibroid or t...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.