Q. There is a white patch behind my baby's ear. Is it curable?

Dr. Chaitra. P
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 06, 2016 and last reviewed on: Mar 22, 2019

My son is 14 months old and a normal baby. He has developed white patches or spot behind ear and back of the neck. According to my knowledge, it is present since birth or from the time he was three months old. My father has eczema in his leg. The patches do not spread but with time, they seem to enlarge. I am much worried. I want to know what is that patch. Is it curable? Are there any chances of it spreading and becoming a permanent patch? Is there any way to cure? I have attached the pictures for your reference. Please help.

#

Thanks for sharing the photographs (attachment removed to protect patient identity). I can notice the patches are forming lines. They are identified as birth marks. Just the way there are black moles present, similarly white moles are there.

These birth marks do not cause any health problem. They do not have any symptoms and will remain forever. Since it is not present on face, it will not affect cosmetically.

1. These birth marks are not related to eczema (itching and bleeding skin blisters) they do not have any tendency to spread to other family members.
  2. With growth of a child, lot of changes will take place on skin. Few tend to stay forever, and some will disappear completely.
  3. As you have mentioned, if there are similar patches elsewhere too, there can be a possibility of leucoderma.
  4. Leucoderma - non-segmental vitiligo might increase with age. They cannot be easily identified at an early age.

Keep a record of photographs taken regularly and observe the change in size and color of the patch. For better analysis, get it checked with a dermatologist.

The patches are forming lines towards ear. It is a coin shaped scattered pattern and very bright. I am worried if it would spread to neck or body. There is no patch on other body parts. What precaution should I take? Kindly suggest.

#

As the child grows, the patch might become more visible as the skin gets tanned. There are very less chances that it will increase in size. No treatment is required now. With age, there are chances for it to disappear.

In adulthood, he can get the patches surgically corrected or even take light treatment. Wait till his puberty and check for any progress.

|