Q. I have a very painful tongue with red and white sores after oral sex. Why?

Dr. B. Vageesh Padiyar
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 18, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 29, 2021

I am a 39-year-old female. I am currently taking Prednisone, Cymbalta, Hydroxychloroquine. I have been trying to get help for almost a year. I had oral sex with my boyfriend, and as soon as it was over, my throat closed up the very next day, and my mouth was white. I have a very painful red and white sore tongue.

#

Thanks for providing a brief history. The most probable possibility out there is you have oral thrush or oral candidiasis. This is an opportunistic infection and usually does make your entire oral cavity go white, with the tongue being the most affected part. The second reason why I am considering this is that you are on Prednisone which is similar to immunosuppressive therapy. Exposure to any sort can invite an opportunistic infection such as that caused by candida albicans. I would recommend you to start using tablet Fluconazole 200 mg once in the morning and evening after food for the next ten days. In addition, oral candid mouth gargles or mouth paint is available. This contains Clotrimazole and is an antifungal chiefly meant against candida albicans.

I would advise you to wait for the next one weeks to ten days and avoid any exposure for the next two weeks.

I hope I have answered your query. If there is anything more that you need to enquire about, please do let us know, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.

Warm regards.

|