Q. I took Diflucan to treat urinary candidiasis. When will I get cured completely?

Dr. Vaibhav

My doctor prescribed Diflucan (14 days / 200 mg) to treat urinary candidiasis. I just took day 6 of Diflucan. I am feeling a little better but still have achiness in pelvic area, bladder. My question is how much longer until I get full relief? Is this normal?

Dr. Vaibhav

Urology
#

I suppose you have urine culture proven urinary candida infection for which this tablet Diflucan was started. Usually for urinary tract infection, it is given for 1 to 2 weeks depending on patient symptoms. You can continue till two weeks till sypmtoms subside and then repeat the urine culture test for documentation of complete resolution. You should also check for your blood sugar as these infections are common in diabetic person and high sugar can lead to recurring infection.

Burning sensation in urine or achiness as you described is most probably due to infection. A sonography of abdomen and pelvis is advised to rule out other causes such as stone disease as cause of infection.

|