Q. My orthodontist bent the extra wire inside, which is poking. Can I clip those extra length?

Dr. Mayank Khandelwal

I visited an orthodontist about two days ago, and they put on two new brackets. But yesterday, one of the brackets fell off, so I clipped the wire with fingernail clippers, and it is not bugging me anymore; it is not pokey. But, in the other three corners of my mouth, they decided to make the wire longer and bend it inward. I do not know why they did that, but it is pokey and uncomfortable, and it is too far back to put wax on it. So, I wondered if I could just clip the extra length off those corners? Currently, I am using a cream for eczema. Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern. I would suggest not cutting out any extra part of the wire. The extra part of the wire bent inwards is kept purposefully to avoid drifting your teeth forwards (called tipping or proclination). The brackets tend to take teeth forward, and to avoid it, an extra part of the wire is kept and bent inwards. It is a normal phenomenon followed worldwide. I suggest you try putting wax on the extra part of the wire and prevent poking of the wire. If you cannot put it yourself, ask someone to assist you in the same. If it still is hurting, I suggest you visit the orthodontist and seek help adjusting the wire. Do not try to do it yourself, as it might do more harm than benefits. The extra wire might be more than the usual length left in the mouth.

Kindly revert in case of further queries.

|