Q. I have pain in one of my erupting wisdom tooth. Is it due to an infection?

Dr. Nisha Ashokkumar Agrawal
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2017 and last reviewed on: Nov 09, 2021

I have two wisdom teeth erupting, and I am worried one of them is getting infected on the left side. I am also worried that I might be getting a cavity under the cap of the molar teeth. And I feel that they have to be taken out, as they are 5 to 6 years old. I have attached a photo of the erupting wisdom teeth and the molar tooth cap.

#

I read your query, and I can understand your concern. I have seen the attached photo (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Lower left wisdom tooth is out of the arch means erupting buccally. It would have been better if you had attached the x-rays too, but it seems that there is insufficient space for eruption for this tooth.
  • Infection or inflammatory sign is not seen in the left wisdom tooth so that the pain may be due to the eruption process. The final cure for such condition is extraction only. The pain usually stops in some days and recurs after some time. In the meantime, I suggest taking any analgesic like Ibuprofen for pain relief.
  • Regarding the crown, it need not be removed until it causes any problem or is worn out. And they usually take 10 years to wear out. Your crown seems perfect. I do not see any reason to get them removed.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|