Q. Please let me know the do's and dont's after wisdom tooth removal.

Dr. Tarun Gupta
Published on Oct 06, 2014 and last reviewed on: Apr 16, 2019

I just got my wisdom tooth removed. So, I was wondering if I can get a guidance of the do's and dont's. Like tips regarding eating or drinking to avoid problems.

Dr. Tarun Gupta

Dentistry
#

Take precautions for 24 hours if the wisdom tooth has been extracted non-surgically but, if the tooth has been removed by surgical intervention with sutures placed, then take precautions until the sutures are removed.

1. Do not take hard food.
  2. Do not open your mouth wide.
  3. Do not gargle forcefully.
  4. Do not take alcohol or hot drinks for 24 to 36 hours.
  5. Eat soft food and the food must be cold for the first 24 to 36 hours.
  6. Do not smoke or chew tobacco.
  7. Do not apply external heat to that area.
  8. Use mouthwash after every meal after 24 to 36 hours, until the sutures are removed.
  9. Brush your teeth normally after the first 24 to 36 hours.
  10. Take the prescribed medicines on time.
  11. Drink lots of fluids, fruit juices, curd, milk, etc.

Consult a dentist online for further help --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

Why is there numbness in tongue and jaw after wisdom tooth extraction?

Query: Hello doctor, My lower right side impacted wisdom tooth has been extracted a week back. Till now my half tongue and jawline of the right side are numb or I am not feeling hot or cold at that side. I am so much worried. Is that normal or is it a concern of worrying? I am panicking for getting sense ...  Read Full »

Why do I have bad breath in spite of flossing and using mouthwash?

Query: Hello doctor, Majority of times after I floss and then brush my teeth afterward I use cool mint Listerine mouthwash. I do not understand what is going on but my fiance says I have an unpleasant smell in my mouth. I do not have to be so close to him talking. After I had a wash with the Listerine, I ...  Read Full »