Q. Why do I get swollen gums at the back of my last tooth?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
Published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I got a swollen gum at the back of my last tooth on my left side. It feels like a new teeth is coming up and the pain sometimes extends to ear also. I can remember that I got this pain few years back on my right side and it went away by itself. What should I do now? What is the reason behind this?

#

• It must be wisdom tooth eruption happening. As the tooth makes its place to come out, you are getting pain.
  • Tooth breaks open through the gums, so there is swelling in the gum.
  • Do lukewarm saline mouth rinse three to four times daily. If the pain is unbearable then take painkiller.
  • Apply local anesthetic gel before having food; it will give relief while having food.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

| 

I am suffering from cough and ear pain now. When I put my hand today at the back of the ear I found a small lymph node, I am not sure but it is not painful at all. Are these symptoms of the swollen gum?

#

• The cough is not related to the wisdom tooth. The swelling of the lymph node can be due to wisdom tooth.
  • Continue with lukewarm saline mouth rinse. If the problem persists then immediately consult a dentist for physical evaluation.
  • If required consult an ENT specialist for the swelling behind the ear.

| 

Why is there swelling of gums near the extraction site?

Query: Hello doctor, Four days ago, I had surgery to remove four impacted wisdom teeth and one molar extraction. Yesterday, I began to develop swelling of the gums near the bottom right incision. Today it has grown up into a bubble covering the top of my back molar. One quarter of the molar is covered by ...  Read Full »

How can I manage wisdom tooth eruption pain?

Query: Hello doctor, For the last two weeks, my two wisdom teeth on the right side of my face have been coming in. The pain has been incredibly severe and is almost unbearable at this point. I have been experiencing headaches and tenderness pain in my neck, jaw, and gums. I have trouble moving my jaw and ...  Read Full »

Why are there pain and gum bleeding with wisdom tooth eruption?

Query: Hello doctor, I recently had a wisdom tooth coming out and my gums are swollen and I am suffering from the pain. When I brush and floss, it bleeds. What is this?  Read Full »