Q. Why do I get swollen gums at the back of my last tooth?

Dr. Nivedita Dalmia
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 23, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 27, 2019

I got a swollen gum at the back of my last tooth on my left side. It feels like a new teeth is coming up and the pain sometimes extends to ear also. I can remember that I got this pain few years back on my right side and it went away by itself. What should I do now? What is the reason behind this?

#

• It must be wisdom tooth eruption happening. As the tooth makes its place to come out, you are getting pain.
  • Tooth breaks open through the gums, so there is swelling in the gum.
  • Do lukewarm saline mouth rinse three to four times daily. If the pain is unbearable then take painkiller.
  • Apply local anesthetic gel before having food; it will give relief while having food.

For further information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

I am suffering from cough and ear pain now. When I put my hand today at the back of the ear I found a small lymph node, I am not sure but it is not painful at all. Are these symptoms of the swollen gum?

#

• The cough is not related to the wisdom tooth. The swelling of the lymph node can be due to wisdom tooth.
  • Continue with lukewarm saline mouth rinse. If the problem persists then immediately consult a dentist for physical evaluation.
  • If required consult an ENT specialist for the swelling behind the ear.

|