Q. From the image, please advise if it is a must to remove my wisdom tooth.

Dr. Paras Angrish
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 21, 2021

Is it a must to remove wisdom tooth? I have attached an image of my tooth. Kindly advise if it is possible not to remove it.

#

• From the picture (attachment removed to protect patient identity), I can make out that the position of your wisdom tooth is not vertical that means, it is not coming at the normal position.
  • My concern is, are you getting any pain in gums area? Is there any uneasiness while eating or not?
  • One more thing is that if tooth remains in the same position it will create a space for food accumulation, which can harm your gums and tooth next to wisdom tooth too.
  • Another thing is that it can also push your adjacent tooth which we do not want as it is needed in chewing and function.
  • One more fact is wisdom tooth does not help in chewing as it is a vestigial organ just like an appendix. I shall recommend you get an x-ray done so that one can make out a position of the tooth and plan out what further can be done.

Abnormal position of wisdom tooth.

IOPA (intraoral periapical radiograph) x-ray with respect to wisdom tooth or an OPG x-ray (orthopantomogram).

Can lead to pericoronitis.

Depends on x-ray findings.

Do warm saline rinses and keep that area clean with floss recommended.

Revert with x-ray to a dentist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|