Q. I am suffering from severe pain even after a week of wisdom tooth extraction. Why?

Dr. Ummah Mohammad
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 23, 2019 and last reviewed on: Sep 16, 2020

I had my lower wisdom tooth extraction last week. I had bone cutting and stitches. Today is the sixth day of surgery, but I have severe pain even after taking pain killers. But there is no adequate response. I had five days of antibiotics too. Please suggest me what I should do?

#

Your medications are fine, are you taking Cataflam still or stopped? Did you follow all the do's and dont's your dentist had suggested you after extraction? As wisdom tooth extraction is in itself a complex one and any manhandling makes the patient suffer a lot. For now, do warm water and salt rinse slowly not so harshly, and water should not be hot, only warm, be careful about that. Secondly, you need to visit your dentist who did the extraction as soon as possible, to look for any bony spicules remaining or if stitches are healing correctly or not.

Clot rupture, delayed healing.

Oral examination.

Dry socket.

Stitch removal, check for bony spicules, and irrigation.

Avoid eating especially hot on the affected side.

Follow-up after having word with your dentist.

|