Q. Is it possible to fill the adjacent tooth without extracting the wisdom tooth?

Dr. Divya Banu M
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 19, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 08, 2020

My wife's dentist says that my wife has to get a tooth pulled in order for him to do dental work on my wife's adjacent tooth. My wife lost a piece of a filling and the dentist says he needs to take out the remaining filling, and then re-fill it. But in order to do that, he needs to pull the adjacent tooth. Could you please tell me if my wife really needs to have this tooth pulled? I will send you a picture.

#

How are you doing?

First of all, there is nothing to worry. I have seen the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity). The tooth that the dentist is mentioning for removal is the upper wisdom tooth. It has not erupted completely. The age for its eruption ranges between 18-25 years. Mostly, in such cases or after this age, we recommend for its removal because, in the future, this might cause an infection, cheek bite, or other problems. I can guide you more about this if you can provide me with an X-ray (OPG or IOPA. OPG will be better).

Now, regarding the filling, I think it must be towards that wisdom tooth side and that is why the doctor is asking for its removal so that he can properly contour and fill the tooth. Otherwise, it will be difficult (I cannot visualize much of the broken filling in the image). I will need an image from occlusal (chewing surface) aspect. Again, I need an X-ray of that tooth for a proper diagnosis.

You do not have to worry. The tooth removal will be done under local anesthesia only. She will be fine. You can revert back with image and X-ray for further information. Feel free to ask further queries. Take care.

Revert with more information to a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

If we wanted to fill the tooth next to the wisdom tooth, is that possible without extracting the wisdom tooth? Would it be better to fill the bad tooth before extracting the wisdom tooth? Another question: would it be alright to just leave the wisdom tooth, and not extract it? If we just leave the wisdom tooth, would the dentist be able to fill the tooth next to it? (FYI, the wisdom tooth has a cavity in it, and the dentist did not want to fill it.)

#

It depends on the situation of the cavity. As I mentioned earlier, if the filling has to be done on the adjacent surface of the tooth, near the wisdom tooth, it is better to remove the wisdom tooth. If it is on some other surface, then the removal is not mandatory.

Secondly, since the wisdom tooth has a cavity, I would prefer its removal. Let me explain why. The position of the tooth seems to be a little abnormal. This will make the brushing in that area difficult, leading to progression of caries, and later pain or infection. So, precautionarily, it is better to remove it.

Moreover, the evolution of these teeth has lead to non-functioning of these teeth. So, it is not much useful for chewing. Moreover, they cause a problem only. So, keeping all this in mind, I would say get it removed. That will be the best choice.

Again, if the filling is not to be done on the adjacent surface, you can delay the extraction a little as it is not an emergency as she does not have pain. But, if the surface is adjacent to the wisdom tooth, then removal is required for proper contouring and filling.

But sooner or later, removal is the best option to avoid future complications. Even if you fill the wisdom tooth now, again due to a difficulty in brushing that area, the cavity will progress, and you will have to get it removed. Hence it will be a waste of money for you and efforts for the dentist. So, better go for removal. Do not worry, it is a simple procedure. She will be totally fine.

It would be better if you can attach the X-ray or the image taken from occlusal aspect so I can tell you whether you can delay the extraction or not.Take care.

For more information consult a dentist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dentist

|