Q. I saw two white worms while cleaning my 7-month-old baby's umbilical cord. What should I do?

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj
Hi! I'm worried about my child. Yesterday i clean his umbilical cord and i got two white worms. There is no wound in his umbilical cord. He is 7 months old. What should i do? Please response. Thank you!

Dr. Manu Bharadwaj

Paediatric Surgery Paediatrics
#

You will need to address this issue as soon as possible, because it might worsen and the child may develop new symptoms.

First, please tell me if you have ever noticed urine, stools, pus or blood oozing out of the umbilicus, any time?

For the worm infestation,

1. First, give a thorough bath to the baby and clean the umbilicus with soap water. (Do this everyday)
  2. Apply IVERMECTIN lotion to the umbilicus.
  3. Start Syp AUGMENTIN - I need to know the correct weight of the baby because I don’t think the child could be 20kgs at 7 months. If the weight is correct, then the baby will need an evaluation from an endocrinologist as well.

Please ensure that pets and domestic animals are separated from the baby’s surroundings. The baby will require an Ultrasound examination of the abdomen to see if there is any infestations of the internal organs. Watch out for fits, blank staring and unresponsive-ness in the baby. It will be advisable to take the baby to the pediatrician for a thorough evaluation. Please revert back to inform the progress of the baby’s condition.

|