Q. Please suggest what to do for worms in stomach.

Dr. Sirisha
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 01, 2020

My child is 6.5 years old. Recently, a worm came out of her mouth alive of about 5 to 8 cm long without vomit. Doctor gave her Bandy plus and told to repeat the dosage after 14 days. Please suggest whether it is a tapeworm. What are the investigations you would like to suggest for her? Please advice would there be more larvae or eggs of this kind of worms in her intestines? She reports pain in her abdomen and throat often. She has problem of constipation as well and because of that she lacks concentration in work or study. Please suggest what to do?

#

• Worms in tummy are quite common in children. Please give the medication as directed by your doctor.
  • Most of the times it gets resolved. But, if it is persisting, then we may have to repeat the course or give alternate medicine.
  • There are many kinds of worms and it would be difficult to tell what kind of worm it is without seeing.
  • She can get an ultrasound scan of the abdomen if she complaints of repeated pain in the abdomen.
  •  Your child is very low weight for her age. Does she eat mud or other inedible things? This can cause worms as well low hemoglobin, which can lead to low weight, appetite and less concentration. Please concentrate on her diet.
  • Give her iron and multivitamin syrup for at least three months. Give deworming medication for every six months.
  • I suggest you to get her ultrasound of the abdomen, CBP (complete blood picture) to check for hemoglobin.
  • I suggest syrup Orofer 5 mL (iron) once a day for three months and syrup Kidicare plus 5 mL (multivitamin) once a day for three months. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.

For further information consult a child health specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/child-health-specialist

|