Q. My child got hurt while playing. Can we use T-Bact or Neosporin ointment?

Dr. Payas Joshi
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 07, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 26, 2020

My child, who is 2 years old, fell off while playing. She got hurt above the left eye with mild scar. Please suggest some medication. Thank you.

#

• Did it bleed? How deep is the wound?
  • If the child is not immunized or if it is a bad infected wound, then Tetanus injection may be required.

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

Yes, it bled, but very light. She got wounded on hitting wooden plank. Can we use T-Bact or Neosporin ointment till we take her to the doctor tomorrow?

#

• Yes, you can use T-Bact ointment (Mupirocin) till then.
  • Was DPT vaccine - diphtheria, pertussis and tetanus vaccine given at 1-1/2 years? If yes, then no problem. She will not require tetanus shot.

For further information consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

She has been administered DPT vaccine before six months.

#

• It is really great that you have got her immunized. So, I do not think tetanus will be required and I believe that the wound is not very bad.

For further doubts consult a paediatrician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/paediatrician

|