Q. I have a few lumps under the eyes. What are they?

Answered by
Dr. Gaurang Gupta
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: Nov 11, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 42 years old. I am having some plump type of small things under both the eyes. It started like pimples and gradually increased in two years. But, there is no pain. I wear spectacles and job profile is sales and marketing. I have to travel in hot and sunny weather. Please advise.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

  • This is called xanthelasma, a deposition of cholesterol and fat around the eyes.
  • It is a painless condition and takes time to develop. It is a gradual fat deposition and xanthelasma will increase in size.
  • It is a very common problem and mostly found in people who have more fat with a habit of eating more junk food and soft drinks.
  • First, check your blood cholesterol level and lipid profile. Many times the level will be high, but it could be normal also. If it is high, then follow the diet restriction.
  • TCA application (Trichloroacetic acid) is one of the most common and simplified treatment options. We apply this on the spots. It burns the cholesterol and in a few days the burnt area will fall off. The remaining skin will heal without any scar. Two to three sittings are required for this treatment.
  • Laser removal is an another option and requires well-equipped CO2 laser setup. This process needs to be done under local anesthesia. The laser will directly burn the xanthelasma. This procedure may cause mild swelling around eyes for the next two to three days of treatment.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Thank you doctor,

What is TCA? Whom should I contact for that?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • TCA is just a solution. Please contact your dermatologist for the procedure. It is a cost-effective procedure.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Was this answer helpful?


Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Is there a way to prevent little moles from coming all over my body?

Query: Hello doctor,I am an 18 year old girl and I am starting to notice little moles all over my body. Nothing unusual or worrisome. My mother and grandmother are also covered in moles so I guess I should have expected it. My question is, is there a way that I can prevent them from coming in or at least s...  Read Full »

I have plantar wart and undergoing freezing for it. What else can be done?

Query: Hi doctor, I have been getting treatment for a plantar wart for a year now. Freezing it every two weeks at the clinic and then scraping the skin at home three times a week. However, I am still not getting rid of it. I have read that the treatment usually works way faster than that.  Read Full »

Does laser surgery cause dry eyes?

Query: Hello doctor, I had laser surgery on both my eyes 15 years back, and it was not very successful. My eye sight power came back along with the cylindrical power. My power has been stable for the last 10 years. Now my vision has become 6/4. But, I found out that I have dry eyes ever since. If I use ...  Read Full »

Also Read

I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»
Bird Flu (Avian Influenza) - Causes, Symptoms, Mortality Rate, and Treatment
Bird flu or avian influenza is a viral infection that spreads among birds and can affect humans rarely. Read the article...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Dermatologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.