Q. I have watery eyes, eyelid swelling and redness. Why is it so?

Dr. Anand
Published on Apr 05, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

When I wake up in the morning, I have watery eyes, eyelid swelling and redness. The symptoms get clear in some half an hour to a maximum of 2 hours and then it remains fine the entire day. Please help with this.

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Your watering problem may be related to previous conjunctivitis attacks. This is more common in viral conjunctivitis.
  • You can use artificial tear drops during watering.
  • You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the photographs to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

I had 3 attacks of conjunctivitis in the last 6 months. All of them cleared within 6 days of starting the treatment with antihistaminic and antibiotic drops as directed by a general physician. After the last conjunctivitis treatment, I have some on and off discomfort in my affected eye. I can feel a lighter discomfort on the right side also, but less often. The most interesting thing is that the discomfort goes away immediately when I have very mild contractions in my upper eyelid of the affected eye. I do not know if this information is important, but I suffer from severe anxiety. I have been given Diazepam, but only for SOS. However, I feel a lot of symptoms related to anxiety like strange sensation in the chest, difficulty in breathing, fear of many things and I am very alert most of the time. I was diagnosed with a xanthelasma on the upper eyelid on the left eye by a general physician 4-5 years ago. It is in fact better when I put artificial tear eye drops, as I have been using them for some days. But, I am using them less often. May I know is there any change in the diagnosis after new information? If not, how many drops and how often should I use them? How is this related with previous viral conjunctivitis?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• Xanthelasma (deposit of fat under the skin of eyelids) is nothing to do with your problems. It is due to high cholesterol levels.
  • Viral conjunctivitis cause multiple small erosions on the cornea and these erosions cause irritation (more during blinking) and watering.
  • These erosions will take three to six months for complete resolution. These symptoms however are negligible in many people and only few people have symptoms like yours. This may be exaggerated due to your anxious personality.
  • Artificial tear substitutes, you can put one drop for every two hours. During night you can use artificial tear substitutes gel, this will provide soothing effect.
  • If you are prone to allergic conjunctivitis, you can take anti-allergic medicine like Cetirizine tablets and Olopatadine eye drops twice per day.
  • Use cold water wash in case of irritation. You can send pictures of your eyes and old records for more suggestions.

For further information consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Thanks for all the help regarding my eye problem. I have been improving a lot with your suggestions. Last week, when I woke up, I had glued eyelids. Not really glued, only slightly. I was wondering whether the gluing will destroy new corneal cells, as I read it somewhere. If so, how can I avoid it? I am using artificial tear drops during the day and an artificial tear gel at night. I am much better of the tearing and irritation. However, today was one of those days, I had eye redness upon waking up and that lasted for a few hours and most of the redness got cleared. Can this be due to the gluing? Is it normal to have some very small recurrences in my problem?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

Good to know that you have improved drastically.

• Some stickiness is common due to the gel itself that you are using in the bedtime. However, if it is pus or mucoid then only you need to worry.
  • Also try using Moxigram LX (Moxifloxacin with Loteprednol combination) eye drops two hourly for redness.
  • You can send pictures of your eyes or old records for more suggestions.

For further suggestions consult an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Since I start putting the drops and gel, I have a discharge. Usually, the discharge is much more from the left eye. Can this be due to conjunctivitis? What do you recommend?

Dr. Anand

Ophthalmology (Eye Care)
#

• From my experience, some stickiness or white discharge kind of thing is common due to the gel itself that you are using in the bedtime; this is in fact precipitate of gels.
  • This you can wash with diluted baby shampoo with scrub during bathing. If it is pus or mucoid then only you need to worry.
  • As recommended earlier also try using Moxigram with Loteprednol combination eye drops two hourly for redness.
  • I can assure you that it is not a problem to be worried about.
  • From the beginning I am insisting you to send pictures of your eyes and this will help me to analyze your eyes. Sometimes, your description may not be helpful as much as pictures. Send pictures for more clear diagnosis and treatment.

Revert back with the photographs to an eye care ophthalmologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/eye-care-ophthalmologist

| 

Is cholesterol level of 299 too high?

Query: Hello doctor, Recently, I have checked my lipid profile and sugar. The results are total cholesterol 229, HDL 53, LDL 150, BP 130/90 mmHg and sugar 104. Are these results fine? Let me know whether I have any heart disease. For cholesterol I am taking Triglize. Kindly give few suggestions to lowe...  Read Full »

Cetirizine and Paracetamol for Fever

Query: Hi doctor, When I have the fever, can I take Cetirizine in the morning and then Paracetamol in the afternoon?  Read Full »

How can I cure ocular rosacea, blepharitis, and MGD?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 22-year-old girl. I have had eye problems for around nine months and have seen several eye doctors and ophthalmologists who all have told me different things and tried a lot of different treatments that have not worked. I am a contact lens wearer with extremely bad eyesight and fi...  Read Full »