Q. Please suggest the best cure for xerosis.

Dr. Shaunak Patel
This is a premium question & answer published on Mar 11, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am suffering with xerosis. I had consulted many doctors and wasted so much money without any use. I am really fed up with this. Please suggest the best way to cure this.

#

• Have minimum 3 to 4 liters of water a day.
  • Use a normal Vaseline lotion twice daily or more if required.

For further information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

I have scaly, dry skin since childhood. I have same symptoms as that of xerosis, but only during winter. Now, I am using Venusia Max cream regularly. One year, before I have been using it only in winter season. Kindly suggest the suitable medical advice.

#

• Your concern is well justified. Many forms of xerosis especially inborn ones improve over years, but a few scaly ones will remain till adulthood.
  • Although, controlling xerosis is important as worsening can lead to ichthyosis (scaly skin). Kindly upload a picture of the condition to assess the severity.
  • But judging from the description, it is persistence of the thing which is more problematic than the actual severity of the same. I could however be mistaken.
  • I would like to say Venusia Max cream is good as it contains ceramides and other moisturizing factors but when winters come, you need something more substantial like urea in a larger concentration.
  • Try Cotaryl cream. It could be a bit oily, but almost always does the job.
  • Also do not pick the dry skin. Dry skin can cause further drying as the layer of cells builds up. Hence, a good cleanser followed by a liberal application of the urea based cream is the key.
  • At night, you can apply Glyco-A (12% Glycolic acid) cream followed by the emollient cream. This always takes care of the problem.
  • Take capsule MMO3 twice daily for two months then once a day thereafter. This will regulate the lipid environment in your skin making it more hydrated and soft.
  • And there is no alternative for water. Drink maximum of about 3-4 liters of water a day.

Thank you very much. But, I could not resist asking about a few clarifications. Please suggest the name of the best cleanser. I saw the two types of Cotaryl cream. Please confirm the correct composition as there are different compositions. Cotaryl skin cream 50 gm (combination of Ammonium chloride, Calcium lactate, Glycine, Lactic acid, Magnesium chloride, Potassium chloride, Sodium chloride, Sodium dihydrogen phosphate and Urea) and Cotaryl AF cream 50 gm (combination of Liquid paraffin and White soft paraffin).

#

• Follow tablets, creams and Glyco-A 12% and all other useful day-to-day instructions as I said.
  • Use Aquaderm of Dr.Reddy's as cleanser. Apply little to wet skin just enough to cause foaming.

I am using the medication as prescribed by you except the capsule. I did not find MMO3. Still, things are not getting normal. I have enclosed the photos of hands and thighs. Please suggest further.

#

I am glad you are making honest effort.

• You can have Seven Seas capsules once every day.
  • You can stop Glyco-A cream now. Just apply Cotaryl cream twice or thrice daily or as per your convenience and use Aquaderm cleanser minimally.
  • Since xerosis is long term, 100 percent cure could be difficult. But, things can be brought under control with continued application.
  • Can you tell me if you found any improvement? Looking forward to hear from you.

Revert back after improvement to a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

Of course, I have seen some improvement comparatively with the doctors I met directly. That is the reason I am pursuing with you. Now the breaking of skin and itching of skin is somewhat reduced. The major concern is dry skin and scaling issue. Please confirm do you want me to continue the emollient cream. It is really embarrassing for me to deal with this problem from very long time. So, I request you to put your best knowledge and suggest the suitable medication.

#

• Continue the use of emollient cream Cotaryl two to three times daily. You can also try Effederm cream by Galderma, which works equally well.
  • For the scaling part once every night or alternate night apply Glyco-A.
  • Daily soaping is also important as it can remove dead and dry skin. It is important to ensure that new skin is well hydrated as dead skin prevents deep hydration. But, do not overdo the soap.
  • Apply cream right after you shower and dry your body. Soft skin after bath has got better results.
  • Take Seven Seas capsules everyday to restore your lipid balance in skin.
  • With the right treatment, things will improve and then after sometime when the right results are achieved, you just have to maintain it.

|