Q. I have severe pain in my xiphoid process. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 13, 2019

I think it is weird, but my xiphoid process has come out. It is paining a lot. I am 18 years old. Please help.

#

• You have xiphodynia, and it means pain and tenderness in the xiphoid process.
  • Following are the common causes regarding pain in the xiphoid process.
  1. Trauma or injury to the xiphoid area.
  2. Bone disease. 
  3. Emphysema-like respiratory problem.
  4. Cardiac problems.
  5. Liver and gallbladder issue sometimes.
  • So, if any history of trauma is present, then no need for further workup.
  • If trauma history is not present, then ECG (electrocardiogram) and chest x-ray like investigations should be done according to the need.
  • I suggest Ibuprofen 200 mg twice daily for five days. Warm compress would be beneficial.
  • Avoid strenuous work and heavy exercise for a few days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

| 

Does my chest x-ray show any nodules of concern?

Query: Hello doctor, I am looking for a second opinion regarding my chest x-ray. The chest x-ray showed no masses, nodules or pneumonia. I just have a very mild inflammation and an old rib injury. The doctor told me that I had heart deformities, but I already knew about those.  Read Full »

Coronary Artery Disease - a Common Fatal Heart Problem

Article Overview: Coronary artery disease is a common fatal condition. This article includes the symptoms, tests and treatment of coronary artery disease. Read Article

Coronary artery disease is characterized by blockages in the arteries, which supply blood to the heart. This, in turn, will cause nutrition and oxygen deprivement of the heart, which leads to pain and damage to the heart muscle. Heart dysfunction leads to symptoms or heart attack. When to Suspect C...  Read Article

Please explain my father's heart problem from the medical report.

Query: Hi doctor, My father has diabetes for the past 15 years and he is suffering from heart problem for the past four years. Recently he was admitted to the hospital due to severe breathing problem, sudden fainting, loss of appetite and water accumulation in the stomach and legs. After taking treatment ...  Read Full »

COVID-19 Vaccines in India
Two vaccines, Covishield and Covaxin, have been granted emergency use authorization in India. Read about these vaccines'...  Read more»
I get twitches on my calves, shoulders, and head after getting the Novavax COVID vaccine. Please help.
Hello doctor, I got the Novavax COVID vaccine. Since I had the vaccine, I had bad arm pain. But the scary thing that ha...  Read more»
It hurts when I push above my left breast bone. Please help.
Hi doctor, I have been having some chest pain issues. When I push above my left breast bone it hurts in only one spot. ...  Read more»

Ask a Family Physician Now