Q. I have severe pain in my xiphoid process. Please help.

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 13, 2019

I think it is weird, but my xiphoid process has come out. It is paining a lot. I am 18 years old. Please help.

Hematology Pathology
#

• You have xiphodynia, and it means pain and tenderness in the xiphoid process.
  • Following are the common causes regarding pain in the xiphoid process.
  1. Trauma or injury to the xiphoid area.
  2. Bone disease. 
  3. Emphysema-like respiratory problem.
  4. Cardiac problems.
  5. Liver and gallbladder issue sometimes.
  • So, if any history of trauma is present, then no need for further workup.
  • If trauma history is not present, then ECG (electrocardiogram) and chest x-ray like investigations should be done according to the need.
  • I suggest Ibuprofen 200 mg twice daily for five days. Warm compress would be beneficial.
  • Avoid strenuous work and heavy exercise for a few days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a family physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/family-physician

|