Q. My penile head is noticeably white without any symptoms. What could it be?

Dr. Snehal Laul

I am a 29-year-old male. I have noticed in the past two years that the head of my penis is becoming white. I did not notice it first and now it become more noticeable. I am sexually active and I do have a partner and I am embarrassed because she saw it. I have only been with her for the past eight years. Can you please take a look at my condition and see if you can help?

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

Do you have intense itching, white patches, inflammation or swelling, urethral discharge, or itchy genitals?

It candidal balanitis. Does your partner has vaginal discharge? Attach a picture of the lesion for better understanding and confirmation of diagnosis.

| 

None of the symptoms above match except white patches when it first started. Here is the picture.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

It is zoon's balanitis (a common infection in middle-age men) cause can be a fungal infection. Apply Candid cream at night for ten days. Fucidin cream twice daily for seven days (in the morning and evening).

Take tablet Fluconazole 150 mg once daily for three days, tablet Wicet (Levocetirizine) 5 mg at night after dinner for seven days. Maintain proper genital hygiene. Wash the area with lukewarm water and dry it and then apply the cream with clean hands.

Wear loose, thin, comfortable cotton inners. Avoid moisture, friction, and occlusion as fungus prefers a moist environment to grow. Keep the area dry as much as possible. Please avoid scratching or rubbing lesions as it may cause secondary bacterial infection. Avoid sexual contact until the lesion heals. Wash genitals after sexual intercourse. Stay in a well-ventilated room.

Do you have a history of atopy or allergies? Any contact with irritants, scented lotion? Any usage of harsh soap or lubricants during masturbation?

Rough handling? Uncontrolled sugar levels or prediabetic? Any burning sensation or irritation? Any recurrent episode? Do reply.

Use KZ soap (Ketoconazole) or Candid soap until clearance of lesion. Then for regular use cleansers. All the above-mentioned treatment will definitely help.

| 

I will take a look into those medications right away. I do not have any allergies, maybe just latex condoms because my penis used to get red with latex. So I use Polyisoprene non-latex condoms. I am not aware of any contact with irritants. I use shea moisture and shea butter soap, but I wash my penis with warm water only.

I use only water-based lubricants. Nothing other than the normal, so I try not to be rough. My brother is a diabetic, which made me invest in the glucometer. I check my levels, and even my doctor said sugar was fine. No burning or irritation, but I do remember my foreskin getting tight. No recurrent episode.

Dr. Snehal Laul

Dermatology Venereology
#

More precisely, the infection is candidal balanoposthitis. It is nothing serious do not worry. It can be cured completely. It will take one or two (a few weeks) to heal. Use a non-soap cleanser like Cetaphil, Episoft, no neutral soap cleansers to clean the genital area. Avoid latex, which causes an allergic reaction.

Any excess sweating? Use Abzorb powder(Clotrimazole dusting powder) to keep the area dry, KZ (Ketoconazole soap), or Candid soap for a bath in the genital area. Check up of partner needed.

|