Q. A few days before periods, I am getting abdomen pain. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2020

Hi doctor,

I am 29 years old. My height is 5 feet and weight is 41 kg. I have been facing this problem since two years. A week or 10 days before my periods, I got a very sharp abdomen pain before urination. Also, I got frequent urination. If I delay passing urine for more than 10 minutes, then the pain gets unbearable. During this time, I will not be able to travel or go out and have a normal day. After passing urine, it pains badly for some time and then slowly subsides for a while. My periods are moderate to high. I used to have periods with an interval of three weeks. I had an ultrasound of kidney a year ago and it was fine. My bladder showed that it does not pass all urine. However, this problem is only there for those 10 days and not the rest of the month. Please help.



Welcome to icliniq.com.

I understand your concern.

  • Please get an ultrasound scan to rule out any abnormalities like endometriosis or pelvic inflammatory disease. In endometriosis, you can get pain like this before the periods starts.
  • If so, then proper medicines will help you. Sometime, ultrasound may not help and further investigations may be required.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thank you doctor,

Could you tell whether the ultrasound should be conducted during the days of experiencing this pain or any time of the month?



Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • I suggest you consult a gynecologist and possibility of endometriosis can be discussed with her. She will do a pelvic examination and advise a scan.
  • Also, an opinion from a urologist is needed. So, a combined consultation with a urologist as well as a gynecologist will help you.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Was this answer helpful?



This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have pain in the pelvis for a few months. Is it pelvic inflammatory disease?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 43-year-old female. I have had a pain in the left side of my pelvis for a few months. I recently started weightlifting. At first, I thought it was a pulled groin but it is a little bit higher up than that. I wondered if it was a hernia but there is not a lump or weak area. I do...  Read Full »

Having backache badly and vagina smelly discharge. Can you suggest any treatments?

Query: Hi doctor,I am sexually active with one partner only. I am not well for the last 4 months. I am having bad backache and a smelly, white thick sometimes brown color vaginal discharge, lower abdomen pain and vaginal pain while urination. I have consulted my gynecologist and took proper medicine. Now a...  Read Full »

Why are my liver enzymes and bilirubin levels elevated?

Query: Dear doctor, Here is my lab report: Bilirubin total: 2.2 Bilirubin Direct: 1.5 SGPT: 4548 SGOT: 4153 I have taken drip and injection for nausea. Now nausea has been cured. I have only abdomen pain now, and my fever has been cured before three days. Color of urine is yellow and color of stools is...  Read Full »

Also Read

Vitamin D and COVID-19
Did you know COVID-19 patients with vitamin D deficiency are twice as likely to have severe complications, including dea...  Read more»
The New 'Super-Spreader' Strain of Coronavirus
A new variant of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, is spreading fast in parts of the UK. Read how this new var...  Read more»
How to treat my mother's sigmoid colon ulcer?
Hi doctor, My mother, who is 45 years old, has ulcers in the sigmoid colon for the last 15 years. The problem got reduce...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Obstetrician & Gynaecologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website are not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.