Q. I have pain in the pelvis for a few months. Is it pelvic inflammatory disease?

Answered by
Dr. Mashfika N Alam
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 26, 2018

Hello doctor,

I am a 43-year-old female. I have had a pain in the left side of my pelvis for a few months. I recently started weightlifting. At first, I thought it was a pulled groin but it is a little bit higher up than that. I wondered if it was a hernia but there is not a lump or weak area. I do not have health insurance so I have to be careful with my diagnosis. The pain is becoming worse and more like a sharp cramp. Maybe it is pelvic inflammatory disease, or anything else. Should I go to a general practitioner or a gynecologist? I stopped taking birth control at the same time.



Welcome to

I have read your post thoroughly and I understand that you need a sense of direction in terms of the origin of the pathology. Now, it could be a number of things. The fact that it started with you starting to lift weights puts us in the direction of both a hernia or a pulled muscle. Having said that, the cramps cannot be because of a pulled muscle. If it were to be something to do with your colon, it would account for the crampy nature of the pain. Also since it is getting worse, it could be something along the lines of a colonic inflammation, a diverticulitis in an existing diverticulosis is a likely possibility. But I need to know if the pain has any relation to meal intake, like, does it get worse after one? Also, is your bowel movement normal?

It could be gynecological as well but do you have any other symptoms that would suggest that? Also, it is very very important to know if your periods are regular and is there any possibility of a pregnancy? Sometimes ectopic pregnancy also presents this way.

It cannot be pelvic inflammatory disease though, but an ovarian cyst is also a probability. Please let me know the details so that we can narrow down the list of possibilities and reach a diagnosis.

For more information consult a family physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Can inguinal hernias lower testosterone levels and decrease ejaculate volume?

.. be epididymo-orchitis or simply orchitis. I suggest getting an ultrasound of the abdomen and scrotum. Follow-up with the reports. Revert with more information to a general surgeon online --> .. ...   Read full

I have pelvic pain for the second time in five years. Please suggest a treatment.

I have a pain and discomfort in the pelvic area which gets aggravated on sitting, lower back pain, irritation on peeing, burning sensation in the pelvic region which radiates at times to the leg ...   Read full

After hernia surgery, can I lift heavy weight?

.. cardiovascular status that is heart and lung functions are fine, then you can go for laparoscopic surgery. That is cosmetically better and less invasive. The scar will be much bigger in open, so chances of scar rupture and dehiscence are higher i...   Read full


Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Management of Coronasomnia
Coronasomnia refers to increased sleep problems among people during the COVID-19 pandemic. Read the below article to get...  Read more»
Balantidiasis - Causes, Signs and Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Balantidiasis is a rare bacterial infection caused by a parasite called Balantidium coli. Read the article below to know...  Read more»
JAK Inhibitors in Treating Rheumatoid Arthritis
Doctors mainly suggest JAK or Janus kinase inhibitors for patients with rheumatoid arthritis to ease their symptoms. Rea...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Family Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.