Q. Is it a must to remove gallbladder for right upper abdomen pain?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 21, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 12, 2020

About a month ago, I experienced acute pain in my right upper abdomen and that radiated to my back. It happened after I had a high fat meal that night. The pain lasted for hours and continued as a dull ache for the next week. I made an appointment with a gastroenterologist and he advised an abdominal CT. The report revealed that besides a mildly hydronephrotic kidney, for which I have already seen a urologist, everything else was normal except for the following. A focus of calcification is in the gallbladder lumen or the posterior gallbladder wall. The gallbladder wall is minimally prominent. However, the gallbladder is collapsed. All of my laboratory blood work showed that my kidney, liver and pancreas functions are normal. The gastroenterologist did not really give me any insight. He said to find a surgeon in case I have another attack, so that the gallbladder can be removed. I have found a surgeon, but I would like to get a second opinion from a different gastroenterologist. I have had a dull ache since the initial attack, but I have not had any more excruciating pain. Should I wait to get the gallbladder out if I do have another attack? When the report says focus of calcification, does that mean I just have one gallstone? Though I do not have any extreme pain, is this an emergency? Any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

We are here to help you.

• Such description of pain is usually seen in the gallbladder issues as well as acid reflux disease.
  • There is no point in taking a second opinion from a gastroenterologist as he would suggest the same.
  • Actually, his suggestion is right. However, If I would have been your doctor I would have added a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone to help with acid reflux that might be precipitating the pain.
  • So, my advice for you would be to go ahead with this combination. If you get another episode of such pain, then go for HIDA scan (hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid scan). If it reveals malfunctioning of your gallbladder, then it can later be removed.

For further information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

| 

Will Prevacid help with the symptoms of GERD?

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed with GERD six years ago. I have gained 10 pounds of weight and I started having phlegm in my throat. I am coughing more to get the phlegm out of my throat. I am currently taking Prevacid (over-the-counter) once a day in the morning. The phlegm and coughing does not seem ...  Read Full »

Is Pantoprazole allergy something to be concerned about?

Query: Hello doctor, I had indigestion problems last month and I was given a Pan 40 injection in a 24/7 hospital in my locality. The moment I was given the injection, my body developed rashes, redness, and itching. My doctor immediately gave Avil injection after which rashes and redness subsided. Two days...  Read Full »

Taking Pantoprazole for GERD. Is any drug interactions between Pantoprazole and Voltaren?

Query: Hello doctor, I am on 40 mg Pantoprazole twice a day for GERD. I just took 50 mg Voltaren for a bad back and I am worried sick. I checked online and it said no drug interactions. I have not yet taken my nightly dose of Pantoprazole, should I not take it?  Read Full »