Q. Should I worry about my brother's urine culture report?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

My brother had pain in the right side under the rib and feeling stomach fullness. We took him to the hospital and an ECG and a few blood tests were taken. Both are normal and he was discharged with some painkillers. Next day morning, the same issue repeated. When we took him to the doctor, he advised to take a urine test. After seeing pus cells, he asked us to take urine culture. The urine culture report came as no growth. I have attached the above reports for your reference. Please look into the reports and suggest the treatment.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

• As far as his urine reports are concerned (attachment removed to protect patient identity), he looks fine on that aspect.
  • His situation suggested in the emergency room to get him thoroughly checked up for his cardiac functions and they found that to be fine. So, the pain to be a cardiac ischemia is out of the question now.
  • This type of pain most probably due to indigestion and some patients have hyperacidity and associated peptic ulcer disease.
  • I suggest you to take him to a gastroenterologist for proper evaluation and management. If there would be an infection of the stomach by bacteria (Helicobacter pylori), then it can also be ruled out and treated through antibiotic triple regime.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

I forgot to share the below details. The ultrasound scan of the abdomen was taken and the reports are normal. Should we worry about granular cast 1-2 and pus cells 30-40?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

#

I appreciate your trust in us. Your work is superb in attaching all the related documents (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Getting a normal ultrasound of the abdomen rules out many possibilities that may have caused the issue in the first place. It includes gallbladder stones, obvious inflammation or pus in any organ of abdomen and urinary tract abnormalities.
  • I need to add here that your brother had some pus cells in urine. Doctor doubted them to be due to some infection of the urinary tract and needed to rule that out.
  • In the light of no growth on the culture and sensitivity test of urine, it is of no importance to have pus cells and granular casts like he had. I doubt if you repeat the urine test, his reports may be better than before.
  • Ask him to take a healthy and balanced diet; plenty of fluids including clean drinking water. I suggest him to avoid fast and junk food, fried food, caffeinated drinks, chocolates, energy drinks, beverages of any kind, cigarette and alcohol.
  • Remaining physically active will help him a lot. And as aforementioned, it is best to consult a gastroenterologist in person for proper evaluation and management.

|