Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. Should I worry about my brother's urine culture report?

Answered by
Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

Hi doctor,

My brother had pain in the right side under the rib and feeling stomach fullness. We took him to the hospital and an ECG and a few blood tests were taken. Both are normal and he was discharged with some painkillers. Next day morning, the same issue repeated. When we took him to the doctor, he advised to take a urine test. After seeing pus cells, he asked us to take urine culture. The urine culture report came as no growth. I have attached the above reports for your reference. Please look into the reports and suggest the treatment.

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to

  • As far as his urine reports are concerned (attachment removed to protect patient identity), he looks fine on that aspect.
  • His situation suggested in the emergency room to get him thoroughly checked up for his cardiac functions and they found that to be fine. So, the pain to be a cardiac ischemia is out of the question now.
  • This type of pain most probably due to indigestion and some patients have hyperacidity and associated peptic ulcer disease.
  • I suggest you to take him to a gastroenterologist for proper evaluation and management. If there would be an infection of the stomach by bacteria (Helicobacter pylori), then it can also be ruled out and treated through antibiotic triple regime.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

I forgot to share the below details. The ultrasound scan of the abdomen was taken and the reports are normal. Should we worry about granular cast 1-2 and pus cells 30-40?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to

I appreciate your trust in us. Your work is superb in attaching all the related documents (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

  • Getting a normal ultrasound of the abdomen rules out many possibilities that may have caused the issue in the first place. It includes gallbladder stones, obvious inflammation or pus in any organ of abdomen and urinary tract abnormalities.
  • I need to add here that your brother had some pus cells in urine. Doctor doubted them to be due to some infection of the urinary tract and needed to rule that out.
  • In the light of no growth on the culture and sensitivity test of urine, it is of no importance to have pus cells and granular casts like he had. I doubt if you repeat the urine test, his reports may be better than before.
  • Ask him to take a healthy and balanced diet; plenty of fluids including clean drinking water. I suggest him to avoid fast and junk food, fried food, caffeinated drinks, chocolates, energy drinks, beverages of any kind, cigarette and alcohol.
  • Remaining physically active will help him a lot. And as aforementioned, it is best to consult a gastroenterologist in person for proper evaluation and management.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
Please suggest an antibiotic for recurrent urinary tract infection.
I am suffering from acidity and uneasiness when I take spicy food. Please help.
H. Pylori Infection - Diagnosis and Prevention

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

I have taken medicines for H.pylori infection, but the symptoms did not get better. Please help.

Query: Hi doctor, I was diagnosed to have the H.pylori infection a year ago. I have taken several doses of antibiotics, but the symptoms did not get better. What could be the problem?  Read Full »

A Patient's Guide to Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections

Article Overview: If you have frequent urinary tract infections, here are some strategies to reduce your risk. Read Article

Dr. Davie Wong

1) Post-Menopause: As you get older, hormonal changes cause alterations to your vagina and its contents, predisposing you to urinary tract infections. Topical estrogen applied inside the vagina can reduce the risk of infections. Your doctor will decide if this treatment is right for you. 2) Sexual...  Read Article

How can I control acidity with headache?

Query: Hello doctor,I am having an acidity problem. From the past 10 days, it is being greater due to which I am having a headache from the past 10 days. What should I do to control it and what should be my diet and routine exercise?  Read Full »

Also Read

Can naked body to body massage spread HIV?
Hello doctor, I recently had some business trip during which I had some naked body to body massage wherein massager vag...  Read more»
Are COVID-19 Patients Infectious for up to 90 Days After Recovery?
There have been reports of recovered COVID-19 patients getting reinfected and testing positive for almost 3 months. Read...  Read more»
Crohn's Disease
Crohn's disease causes inflammation of the digestive tract, which results in symptoms like severe diarrhea, stomach pain...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.