Q. Why has my abdomen pain not reduced even after taking antibiotics?

Dr. Bhavin Bhupendra Vasavada
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 18, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 25, 2020

I am a 52 year old female. Two weeks back, I had severe abdomen pain and got a sonography done. I have been diagnosed with amebic liver abscess. It was identified 13 days back and I was admitted in hospital for three days and was given saline and Metronidazole dosages, but still not recovered. Doctor told it will take 15-20 days to recover, but even after 10 days there has been no change. My main symptoms are pain near abdomen, frequent fever, loss of appetite, feeling weak and dizzy. I am attaching the sonography details and prescription details. Kindly check and let me know your view on this. Thank you.

#

• If no improvement is present even after antibiotics, I would recommend a CT scan to confirm whether it is an abscess or something else.
  • If CT scan confirms that it is liver abscess, then would just put a sonographic guided needle in the abscess and drain out all the pus.
  • But, I think CT scan is required to confirm liver abscess. It would be good if you could get back to the hospital and get a contrast CT scan of abdomen and post the pictures.

Contrast enhances CT scan of liver triphasic.

If abscess is present then aspirate the abscess.

Follow up after CT scan to a general surgeon online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

I need to understand whether the antibiotics provided by the current doctor are as per the issue as the problem was not solved. Please help.

#

• Antibiotics are right, but as problem is not solved we need to aspirate pus and also confirm that it is not a solid tumor or something through CT scan.
  • By aspiration we can send the pus for culture to know exactly which antibiotic will work in this condition.

Revert back after the CT scan to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|