Q. I have sharp abdominal pain above the belly button on the right side. What could it be?

This is a premium question & answer published on Sep 19, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 25, 2020

I have sharp pain upper right abdomen above the belly button on the right side for the past nine days. Pain is constantly present and made worse on movement and when lying on the right side. I also have bloating. My stool has changed to pale brown color. There are yellow balls and lentils with white and yellow parts mixed in my stool.

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Pain on the right side of the belly button (umbilicus) is mostly due to the following reasons:

1. A muscular pain since it aggravates on movement.

2. Kidney stones.

So please answer the following questions. Since how long have you been suffering from this pain? Any loose stools? For what symptoms have you uploaded stool pictures? Any fever, urinary symptoms, or acidity?

If you have severe pain until you get further help or you visit ER, you may take a pain killer available as OTC like Ibuprofen.

| 

I have pain for the past nine days. While I pass stools, I have a right-sided problem. No fever or burning sensation. I just had acid reflux one month ago.

#

Since the duration of pain is nine days. You should not wait further. Get an ultrasound abdomen and a urine test immediately. It is already delayed.

It could be a stone or colitis. If the pain is in the right lower abdomen, it could be due to acute appendicitis. So, I would strongly recommend you to get an ultrasound abdomen as soon as possible.

|