HomeAnswersInternal Medicineabdominal painWhat causes low sodium and chloride levels?

What scan should I do for my abdominal pain if my sodium and chloride levels are low?


The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At September 23, 2021
Reviewed AtJanuary 19, 2024

Patient's Query

Hello doctor,

I recently had a blood test done for my liver or kidney concerns as I had abdomen pain and bloating. I was fasting for the test. And I was found to have low chloride and sodium. Should I get some scans as the next step?



Welcome to icliniq.com.

Thank you for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you had a history of abdominal pain, bloating before six days and undergone liver and renal function tests.

According to the investigation reports, all results are normal, except serum sodium and chloride are slightly lower than normal (attachments removed to protect the patient’s identity). Your low sodium and chloride levels indicate nothing serious. So, do not be worried regarding lower serum sodium and chloride levels than the normal range.

If you are still suffering from abdominal pain or bloating, I suggest you do an abdominal ultrasound to exclude the causes.

In the meantime, I suggest you take tablet Tiemonium methylsulfate, and prokinetics like Domperidone to subside your present sufferings.

Take care.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam
Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Read answers about:

abdominal painbloating

Ask your health query to a doctor online

Internal Medicine

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy