Q. Why do I have a decreased appetite, abdominal pain, and mucus in stools?

Dr. Arvind Guru
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 28, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 03, 2021

I am a 26 year old unmarried female. I am having decreased appetite, abdominal fullness, mucus in stools, dull pain in the upper abdomen, and get a headache sometimes. I have asthma and take Formosone 125 inhaler, Doxofylline, and Montelukast. I also keep getting aphthous ulcer every month. I have attached my blood reports. Please suggest some treatment. 

#

Thanks for uploading the blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• Your renal and thyroid function are normal. The borderline value of potassium can be easily fixed by a good intake of fruits on a daily basis.
  • Coming to your symptoms, I understand that you have had symptoms like abdominal fullness, mucus in stools, and dull aching sensation in upper abdomen, from only four days and you were alright before that. Also, I am assuming that you have not changed or started your medications in the past one month or so.
  • These symptoms if of short duration are suggestive of, although not definitive for an intestinal infection, most likely viral. Such infections resolve on their own in a week or so. So I think you do not need to take any medications other than a healthy diet.
  • It is however not clear from your provided information, what happened last month other than a repeated occurrence of oral ulcers. If you have been having this mucus diarrhea and stomach upset for a long time, then it needs to be investigated further.
  • Also, why is your weight so low? How long has it been like this? Do you have a history of any disease in the childhood?
  • The cause of long-term problems could be as follows.
  1. Montelukast medication, talk to you doctor about it.
  2. Celiac disease, especially if you have a family history.
  3. Nutritional deficiencies like vitamin B complex.
  4. Polyps in the colon or rectum, you will need an endoscopy.
  5. HIV (human immunodeficiency virus) infection, which is negative in your case.
  6. Some other rare diseases which you do not need to worry about right now.
  • I suggest you try doing the following.
  1. Get a complete blood count (CBC) done and follow-up with reports.
  2. Improve your diet. Eat a diet rich in fruits and vegetables. Have small frequent meals. When you follow-up, do mention your dietary habits and lifestyle.
  3. Try taking capsule Becosules Z forte, one capsule daily after lunch with water for 20 days. It will turn urine yellow, which is normal. Do not take this medication if you are allergic to vitamin B complex.
  • If you have long-term issues, kindly follow-up with details of prior symptoms and all previous records. You can discuss the above information with your local doctor as well.

Revert with more information to a general surgeon online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/general-surgeon

|