Q. Why does my boyfriend have extreme pain in the upper right abdominal area on breathing?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 06, 2020 and last reviewed on: Apr 19, 2021

My boyfriend is having pain in his right upper abdominal area while breathing. This is the third time and it started around 7 pm in the night and so he went to the hospital yesterday. They told me that they are unable to find anything on X-ray or blood work. He waked up in the morning and still, he has extreme pain.

#

Pain in the abdominal area can occur due to gall bladder stones and bile duct stones, ulcers in the stomach, and pancreatitis. You can take capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals. He can take Tramadol 100 mg for pain. If it is not available, he can take capsule Celecoxib 100 mg. Do not give any other painkillers as they can worsen the pain if it is caused due to peptic ulcers. Your boyfriend can take syrup Gaviscon 15 ml half an hour after meals four times a day. I suggest you do some investigations to rule out other possibilities.

Your boyfriend can have peptic ulcer disease, gall stones, and bile duct stones, pancreatitis, intussusception, and volvulus.

Your boyfriend needs to do serum amylase and ultrasound abdomen.

Have a follow-up to know more details.

|