Q. My heart suddenly starts beating fast but reports are normal. Can you help?

This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 09, 2018 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

My heart suddenly starts beating very fast from the last three years. My echo and ECG are always normal. Nowadays, I can feel the chest pain and some kind of picking in my right arm. My thyroid test is also normal. I do not know what to do. Doctors here do not know what my actual problem is. Can you please help me?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

This can be cardiac arrhythmia like PSVT (paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia) or atrial fibrillation, in which heart rate suddenly goes up and also suddenly decreases.

1. How much is your hemoglobin?
  2. Have you ever counted your pulse rate during the episodes?
  3. Have you undergone Holter monitoring?

Usually, ECG is normal as it is usually done between the episodes. ECG done during episodes will show abnormality. It is better if you can upload your ECG and echo reports for an opinion.

Is there any stress or anxiety associated with or prior to the increase in heart rate.

Until the time your evaluation is complete, you can continue Concor (Bisoprolol). If none of the above is successful then last option is an electrophysiological study which is an invasive test which can diagnose and treat the arrhythmia permanently in most of the cases.

Hope this helps you and get back with some more information.

For more information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

I feel as if my heart is pounding irregularly. Can it be atrial fibrillation?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 46 year old female. My blood pressure is low normal. I have never had any heart issues except palpitations when pregnant 10 years ago. They did a cardiac ultrasound at that time, which was normal. Just over a week ago, I started feeling, intermittently during the day, as if my ...  Read Full »

Can implantable cardioverter defibrillator cause AFib?

Query: Hello doctor, I would like to know if an implantable cardioverter defibrillator can cause AFib. Please explain.  Read Full »

With anxiety alone, can my heart rate go too high I cannot calm it down?

Query: Hello doctor, I suffer from anxiety and my anxiety is always centered on my heart. With anxiety/panic alone, can my heart rate go too high that I cannot calm it down?  Read Full »