Q. When I went for uterus examination, why did the nurse question about cancer medication?

This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 26, 2017 and last reviewed on: May 06, 2021

I am a 50 year old female. My symptoms are blood and urine discharge after menopause, severe lower back pain and hemorrhoid. These symptoms have been happening for weeks now. Also, recently I had problems with my kidneys, but it is good now. I went for uterus examination today, and the nurse asked me if I had taken any cancer medication in the past, specifically, Arsenic trioxide. I got immediately worried as I did not see the correlation between my examination and cancer. Is there any medical reason for her question?

#

• Arsenic trioxide is a drug used for blood cancer. It has a common side effect of vaginal bleeding. The nurse might just want to rule out that as a cause.
  • Also, postmenopausal bleeding has multiple causes like polyps, endometrial hyperplasia, etc., and one of them is cancer as well. So, for the sake of completion of history also one will ask history of points which will be suggestive of cancer.
  • Also, you mentioned that you underwent for investigation so that it will make the chance of cancer less. Still, you should get examined and investigated by a gynecologist for the cause.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

|