Q. Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not having period. We checked home pregnancy test, but it is negative. Please guide.

Do you have a question on Abortion or Urine Pregnancy Test?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

MBBS., MS (OBGY)., DNB (OBGY)., FNB (REPRODUCTIVE MEDICINE
Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

• Please ask her to wait for a week for her period to start. If it does not start by then, she can repeat urine pregnancy test.
  • If the test turns out to be negative, ask her to take tablet Medroxyprogesterone acetate 10 mg twice daily for five days.
  • Period normally starts within a week of stopping tablets. Try to avoid unprotected sex during these seven days.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Thanks for your reply. Abortion was done 70 days back. After which for 22 days periods had lasted. The next period started 39 days before and ended 20 days back. When we consulted a gynecologist, she told us that it happens due to hormonal imbalance and she asked her to take Sandoz tablet for 22 days. Soon after taking the tablet, within two to three days the periods has stopped. Still my wife is taking the tablet. Earlier, her periods were regular. If we do unprotected sex then will it affect her health or pregnancy?

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Infertility Obstetrics And Gynaecology

The tablet you mentioned is the name of pharmaceutical company and not the medicine.

From the conversation, I suggest that she is taking Medroxyprogesterone acetate or Norethisterone.

In that case, period will commence only after stopping the tablet. She has to take the prescribed course of 22 days and period should start within a week after finishing tablets. In that case, there is no need to repeat pregnancy test.

Kindly check the contents of the tablet. If it is same as I mentioned, all this applies in your case. If contents are different, kindly let me know.

Regarding unprotected sex, a gap of at least three months is advisable after abortion. Please try to avoid pregnancy after abortion for that duration as it is advisable for mother's health.

For further clarifications consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

My periods lapsed after safe sex. What to do?
Query: Hi doctor, I had protected sex using condoms six days before my expected periods, but that was not safe. My periods has now lapsed. What should I do now?  Read Full »
Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If your periods were regular previously, you can wait for the next three days. If periods does not start by then do urine pregnancy test. If it comes positive then you need to visit gynecologist for medical abortion. This is for the case if you do not want pregnancy to c...  Read Full »

Had cesarean delivery. When can I resume my sex life?
Query: Hello doctor,I had a cesarean delivery just two months back. From when can I resume my sex life with my husband? Could you please advice on that?  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. We usually advise our patients to be active immediately. You can have sex from six weeks onwards, but avoid a pregnancy till 2 years. After the cesarean delivery, your superficial wounds and deep wounds heal fast. But, the healing of uterine wound will take some time...  Read Full »

Menstrual period delayed for 45 days now. Pregnancy test came negative. What could it be?
Query: Dear Doctor, I have not get periods since 45 days. Normally I have a problem of delayed periods. Pregnancy test came negative. Can you please advise?  Read Full »
Dr. Sabita Laskar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. If you are having delayed period, there could be lots of reasons for it. First on the list is pregnancy, which you have ruled out already. Second cause could be PCOD which gives rise to multiple tiny cysts in your ovaries with failure in ovulation thereby leading to no ...  Read Full »

Trending

Trending

Ask a Doctor Now