Q. Neosporin ointment for abrasion in glans penis result in redness and discomfort. Please help.

Dr. Zubayeralam
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Sep 08, 2020

I am a 56-year-old male. Due to the overuse of soap, I had a small abrasion on the area below the glans. I applied a large amount of Neosporin ointment. The next day the glans became red only on the area where the Neosporin came in contact with the glans. I have sent the picture. (The arrow shows the area where I applied Neosporin. And it also shows the problem and redness that started.) There is no itching but a little discomfort.

I have no history of diabetes but I take medicines for primary hypertension. I have IBS and take Normaxin and I also have small diverticuli. No recent sexual activity. I have been advised Candid 1 % lotion in the morning, T Bact ointment in the evening, Augmentin Duo 625, Ebastine 10 mg, Montelukast 10 mg at night OD and Fluka 150 mg one tablet. It is the fourth day and there seems to be no improvement. Application of Neosporin is the start of this problem. Should I change the treatment or continue it?

Previous history of the same issue: Had candidial balanitis 10 years ago.

Current medications: Telmisartan 40 mg OD, Amlodipine 10 mg OD, Atorvastatin 10 mg OD, and Natrilix SR 1.5 mg OD.

Past medications of the same issue: Yes, Onabet lotion application.

Lab tests performed: Blood reports, all normal. No sugar in blood or urine. Lipids are normal.

Dr. Zubayeralam

General Medicine Internal Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from small abrasion below glans due to overuse of soap and glans become red after applying Neosporin ointment on it.

According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity), that are provided here, you may suffer from balanitis which is an inflammation of the head of the penis or foreskin that surrounds the head of the penis in an uncircumcised person. Persons who are more prone to develop balanitis include sensitivity to chemical irritants such as soaps and lubricants like you. Having drug allergies, poor personal hygiene, heart disease, obesity, etc., do not indicate sexually transmitted disease. It may result from overgrowth of organisms like bacteria, viruses, yeast or fungi which are usually present on the skin of the glans.

Treatment depends on causes. According to your prescriptions Candid 1% lotion, Augmentin Duo 625 mg (Amoxycillin, and Potassium clavulanate), Fluka (Fluconazole) 150 mg, Ebastine 10 mg will provide full coverage for both bacterial and fungal infections. Avoid applying Neosporin ointment which may be sensitive to your skin.

| 

Is this serious? And how long will it take for complete healing? I am very concerned and worried. Is there a necessity for steroids or Hydrocortisone ointments?

Dr. Zubayeralam

#

It is not so serious, but it becomes serious and complicated if it is left untreated. It may take two weeks to one month for complete healing. Yes, you can use mild steroid cream like 1% Hydrocortisone cream on it. A mild steroid cream to reduce inflammation is useful for Balanitis especially caused by allergies or irritants like soap in cases like you.

|