Q. How long will it take to recover from ACL injury?

Dr. Lokesh
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 25, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had ACL injury. What will be the time for recovery like normal walking and bike riding? I would like to know after how many days I will be able to do normal walking and bike riding.

#

• Usually there will be swelling and effusion in the knee after an ACL injury (anterior cruciate ligament). So, that has to reduce for you to be back to normal.
  • You should wear a long knee brace all the time and remove it only at night.
  • Put a crepe bandage of 6 inches from the foot to above the knee joint throughout the day.
  • Apply ice packs over the knee joint for at least thrice daily.
  • Take tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg in the morning and night for 10 days after food, tablet Rabeprazole 20 mg once at night before food and tablet Vitamin C 500 mg one tablet in the morning and night after food for 15 days.
  • To walk normally, it will take between three to four weeks.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

The injury happened three years ago. Recently, I went out for jogging to reduce my body weight. There were no pain initially, but after running for around five days my calf muscle was paining throughout the running time. What should be done to get relief from the calf muscle pain in the running time? I am planning to get operation for this ACL injury. My question is that after how many days of operation I will walk normally and can ride a bike? Kindly guide me.

#

• For the calf muscle pain you can take a tablet Etoricoxib 60 mg morning and night for three days after food.
  • After surgery you will walk with a brace for three weeks and then to walk normally you will take five to six weeks time.
  • Also, you can ride a bike after three months of surgery.

For further information consult an orthopaedician and traumatologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/orthopaedician-and-traumatologist

|