Q. Can I get my acne scars permanently cured without any medication?

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am a 20-year-old boy with a face full of acne scars. I have it for the last two years. I have tried many home remedies but did not consult a doctor. They got cured to some extent in the last two to three months or so but have now started reappearing. I want a permanent cure without any medication. Please help.

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Dermatology Venereology
#

Nowadays, acne is considered physiological and a natural phenomenon rather pathological. Around 95% of the world population would have acne at some point in life.

Getting into your case, you are 20 years old, it is the active age of acne. It starts at teenage around 13 and lasts until 30 years of age. No one can cure acne with medication. So it is very remote possibility that it gets cured without medication. Acne can be controlled, but cannot be cured.

Acne is due to overactive oil-producing glands present in the skin called sebaceous glands. In order to cure it, all oil-producing glands need to be removed which is impossible. There are also hormonal and genetic factors involved in it.

There are very few effective medications available for acne which can control the recurrence of acne. Medications depend on the grade of your acne. I cannot prescribe you medicine without seeing your clinical picture or in person.

However, I would like to give you some skin care tips to keep your skin healthy.

• Wash your face with a good facewash four times a day, washing removes the oil on the face.
  • Do not apply oil to the scalp before taking bath. Again excess oil will block the opening of sebaceous glands leading to acne. You can apply oil to hairs after your bath as a conditioner.
  • Never touch or pick your acne, it would leave bad dark spots and scars which are even more difficult to treat.
  • Drink at least two to three liters of water per day and keep your body hydrated.
  • Avoid sunlight as much as possible, use a good sunscreen.
  • Use lukewarm water to wash your face.
  • Eat vitamin A-containing foods like carrot, papaya, muskmelon. They have more beta-Carotene in them, very much helpful for skin.

I would suggest you get back to me with your clinical picture so that I can prescribe you medicines or you can consult your dermatologist for treatment.

For more information consult a dermatologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/dermatologist

|