Q. Can I use Benzoyl peroxide throughout my life for acne?

Dr. Ganeshkumar Suresh Satpute
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 02, 2017 and last reviewed on: Apr 07, 2021

I am suffering from acne for five years. I took Accutane for two months and stopped it recently due to side effects. My acne again started to come back after a month. Now, I am following a diet with no sugar or fast food and fewer dairy products. Also, I am using Benzoyl peroxide face wash. I am taking Omega 3 supplement (300mg) daily. It has improved by skin texture and reduced the redness of my acne to some extent. Shall I continue these drugs throughout my life? Will it have side effects? Will it affect my fertility? If I cannot continue it throughout my life, then how long should I stay? I just loved the way it gave me a good skin with less inflammation.

#

• You can use Benzoyl peroxide continuously until you have any side effects like itching, rash and dryness of skin.
  • Also, you should stop immediately once you know that you are pregnant or you can stop once you are planning to get pregnant. IIt does not have any effect on fertility, but it can affect the baby.
  • You can also use Clinmiskin gel (Adapalene and Clindamycin) once at night on the face for acne. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.
  • Omega 3 have only supportive role. You can take supplements, but do not search for fish because fish oil may increase your acne.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Can I continue Omega 3 supplement for many years till I plan to get pregnant?

#

• Yes, you can continue, but after six months of intake, it will not offer you any additional advantage. So, you can take it on alternate days after six months.

|