Q. I am having acne for longer period. Will chemical peel be helpful in treating acne and its scar?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I am an 18-year-old male and suffering from acne since I was 14. I have tried a retinoid, Doxycycline, countless topical creams and scrubs, a six-month course of Accutane, and nothing seemed to work permanently. Accutane was the most effective drug at preventing my acne but, two months after I stopped it, my acne came back, not as severe, though. I believe that signifies the acne I suffer from is hormonal, so I just have to wait until the testosterone I produce stops affecting my sebaceous glands drastically. But I wanted to know if there is anything else I have not tried because my face looks horrible, and I have severe hyperpigmentation from the past pimples. I was looking into a chemical peel because I was told it would make your face produce less sebum in addition to inducing collagen production. More information about my skin is that I am white, light-skinned, and about 150 lbs.

#

It seems like you have had really bad acne and have been trying hard to improve it. I would suggest you not to stop the treatment abruptly as it usually leads to a flare. Instead, once the acne is controlled, you should reduce the frequency to a maintenance dose, such as weekly once or twice, for a longer-term. Salicylic acid peels do work well for acne and oily skin when applied correctly. You may need four to six sessions, with monthly one session frequency. Chemical peels even help to lighten your post-acne pigmentation.

Do not prick your acne as it leads to infection, scarring, and pigmentation.

|