Q. I am having acne for longer period. Will chemical peel be helpful in treating acne and its scar?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula
Published on Oct 14, 2019 and last reviewed on: Oct 17, 2019

I am an 18-year-old male and suffering from acne since I was 14. I have tried a retinoid, Doxycycline, countless topical creams and scrubs, a six-month course of Accutane, and nothing seemed to work permanently. Accutane was the most effective drug at preventing my acne but, two months after I stopped it, my acne came back, not as severe, though. I believe that signifies the acne I suffer from is hormonal, so I just have to wait until the testosterone I produce stops affecting my sebaceous glands drastically. But I wanted to know if there is anything else I have not tried because my face looks horrible, and I have severe hyperpigmentation from the past pimples. I was looking into a chemical peel because I was told it would make your face produce less sebum in addition to inducing collagen production. More information about my skin is that I am white, light-skinned, and about 150 lbs.

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

Cosmetology Dermatology HIV/AIDS Specialist Venereology
#

It seems like you have had really bad acne and have been trying hard to improve it. I would suggest you not to stop the treatment abruptly as it usually leads to a flare. Instead, once the acne is controlled, you should reduce the frequency to a maintenance dose, such as weekly once or twice, for a longer-term. Salicylic acid peels do work well for acne and oily skin when applied correctly. You may need four to six sessions, with monthly one session frequency. Chemical peels even help to lighten your post-acne pigmentation.

Do not prick your acne as it leads to infection, scarring, and pigmentation.

Why is my face darker than the rest of my body?

Query: Hello doctor, The color of the skin on my face is too dark when compared to the skin on my nose, cheeks, and rest of my body. How can I restore the original color on my face?  Read Full >>

Dr. Suvina Attavar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The skin often darkens due to tanning under the effect of UV (ultraviolet) rays. I would strongly recommend using a sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 30. The sunscreen has to be applied at least half an hour before you go out and has to be reapplied every four hours till ...  Read Full

Acne vulgaris, a Social Problem.

Article Overview: This article discusses the social problems encountered by teens as well as adults due to acne. Read Article

Dr. Kakkar

Acne is the most common skin problem encountered in the teenagers and also in adults. Acne is not a disease by itself, but being chronic in nature, it can have a significant impact in shaping the overall personality of a person. People with acne are often found to have low self-esteem which restrict...  Read Article

Acne - Causes, Types, Home Remedies and Treatment Strategy

Article Overview: Acne is a very common condition encountered among teens and adults. To decide the protocol for the treatment of acne, it is important for us to know the causes, conditions associated, sites of acne, the cause of acne and factors affecting the onset of acne. Many home remedies are helpful in treating acne. Mild and moderate acne can be treated with medication and severe acne with other treatment procedures. Prevention is more important than cure. Read Article

Dr. Archana

Acne is a very common skin condition. It commonly starts during puberty but can occur at any age. Although it is not a dangerous condition, acne can leave scars on the skin. Acne appears in different parts of the body like face, chest, and back. Acne affects almost all teenagers in different severit...  Read Article