Q. I have prolonged period bleeding after taking hormonal pills for acne. Please help.

Dr. Purushottam Sah

Hello doctor,

I am a 32 year old female. I suffer from hormonal acne and my dermatologist gave me Yasmin 21 to take for it. I have never been on any contraceptive before. I started Yasmin on day 1 of my period. It has been 16 days and I am still bleeding. It is not much but I still have it daily. It is more like dark-red blood. I am still taking Yasmin, but there seems to be no sign of the periods ending. Earlier, it would last for five to six days. What could be wrong and how to make the periods stop?

#

• Did you miss any tablet? If yes, then it may be due to that. Or your body could be adjusting to the new hormones.
  • If you have not done so already, then do the blood tests such as TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) and testosterone.
  • To stop the bleeding you can take Primolut N (Norethisterone) one tablet daily for 10 days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicine with their consent.

For more information consult a sexologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/sexologist

I did not miss any tablet. Also, I take the medicine daily around the same time, one hour here or there. Do I need to take a different medicine to stop the bleeding? Also, what are the tests for?

#

• You can continue Yasmin (combination birth control pills).
  • The tests are to see if you have an abnormal TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) which can cause bleeding.
  • High testosterone levels are responsible for acne.

|