Q. Is Salicylic acid-based face wash safe to treat teenage acne?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

My son is 17 years old. He has had acne issues for the past two years, mainly on the cheeks and chin. We have not tried any medication so far. I have attached a copy of the picture below. Is it safe to use 1 % Salicylic acid-based face wash and patch?

#

I have gone through the query and reviewed the attached photographs (attachment removed to protect the patient's identity).

You can continue with the face wash. Along with that, start with an oral antibiotic like Doxycycline, 100 mg once daily at night for three weeks, and apply Adapalene (Retinoids) 1% gel on the pimples in minute amounts at night. Avoid sugars dairy products, picking pimples, staying in a cool area environment, and avoid oiling of scalp.

Continue this for three weeks and revert.

Thank you for the reply, doctor.

I had bought Derma Co 1 % Salicylic acid-based face wash and acne spot patch. I tried one to see if he is developing any allergic reactions. He did not develop any allergies. Can I use the patch on active acne?

How to treat the scars?

#

Please do not use the patch as it can cause allergies. You can apply Aziderm (Azelaic acid) 10 % cream on the mark twice daily for three weeks.

|