Q. What can be the reason for the loss of subcutaneous fat?

Dr. Atul Sardar Narayankar
Published on May 21, 2017

I am losing subcutaneous fat from the thighs, legs, hands, palms, foot soles, face, chest, etc. I also have some swollen nodes. I am not diabetic, my fasting blood sugar is between 100 to 107 mg/dL and postprandial is between 110 to 120 mg/dL. But, when I start losing fat, then the fasting blood sugar becomes 133 mg/dL and postprandial becomes 154 mg/dL. After taking Surbex Gold tablet, it came back to 110 and 139 mg/dL. What may be the reason for the loss of subcutaneous fat?

Dr. Atul Sardar Narayankar

#

• The subcutaneous fat loss can be a part of acquired lipodystrophy. It is a very rare condition but can be associated with some autoimmune diseases, or after any infection.
  • This condition is usually related to deranged lipid profile.
  • Consult an endocrinologist for a metabolic profile.
  • I suggest you take food containing low carbohydrates.
  • Get your blood pressure and lipid profile checked, if they are highly deranged, then you might require antilipidemics.

Revert with more information to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Thank you for replying. My total cholesterol is 225, triglyceride is 106, HDL is 40, LDL is 164, VLDL is 21, bilirubin is 1 mg/dL, SGOT is 22, SGPT is 30, alkaline phosphate is 126, serum total protein is 7.3, serum albumin is 3.7, globulin is 3.6, and A/G ratio is 1.0/1. If it is acquired lipodystrophy, is there any treatment?

Dr. Atul Sardar Narayankar

#

• There is no specific treatment for acquired lipodystrophy.
  • You need to consult a dietician and an endocrinologist. Leptin replacement has been tried, but not commonly used.

For more information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

| 

Are medications needed to rectify my lipid profile values?

Query: Hello doctor, Kindly see the test report and advice what precautions or medications are required especially in the lipid profile section.  Read Full »

How can weight be increased in a 23-year-old male?

Query: Hello doctor,I am 23 years old male and I am a student. My height is 166 cm and weight 49 kg. Over the past five years, my weight has not increased. I feel very weak and lean. Now, what should I do?  Read Full »

Why am I having chest pain even though lipid profile and echo are normal?

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from chest pain in the left side from 4 to 5 days, but my lipid profile and 2D echocardiography both reports are normal. What to do? What is the reason of chest pain?  Read Full »