Q. I have dizziness, clogged ears, and warm face for the past four weeks. Is this due to ear infection?

Dr. Shyam Kalyan. N

I have been suffering from a suspected ear infection for nearly four weeks now. I am currently experiencing dizziness and a warm face for the past four weeks. I have been using Gentamicin ear drops for the last two weeks, but my symptoms have not improved. I am fatigued all the time, and I feel like I am fighting an infection. I am a 33-year-old male.

#

Have you shown it to an ENT specialist? Do you have any ear discharge, or fever, or reduced hearing? Can you describe the giddiness? Is it always present? Is it an imbalance or spinning sensation? How long does it last?

I have not been to an ENT specialist yet. I am experiencing some reduced hearing in my left ear. My core body temperature is now high, but my face is always warm. I constantly feel like I have a sore head, and I struggle to concentrate.

It feels like my balance is off when I stand or sit up for long periods. It feels like the room is spinning. It lasts for long periods at a time. At the start of my condition, I was vomiting, but I have not done this for the last weeks. I feel tired and have been sleeping for longer periods. Sorry, I meant my body temperature is not high, but my face is warm to the touch.

#

Are you on any medications? Do you have any depression or mood changes? You need to get a complete blood count with a pure tone audiogram.

For giddiness, we will have to rule out some conditions sequentially.

I am not on any medications. I do not suffer from depression and have never suffered from depression in the past. I will request a blood test tomorrow when I visit my GP practice. Do you think antibiotics would help with the high temperature in my face? I am concerned the infection is spreading to the surrounding tissue around my ear.

#

High temperature on face is not a sign of infection normally. We need to see pus, fever, redness, ear discharge, etc. But taking an antibiotic, Z-Pack will not do any harm. Keep Stemetil-MD (Prochlorperazine) under the tongue whenever there is giddiness.

My GP has prescribed Cinnarizine tablets to treat the dizziness. She also prescribed Clotrimazole solution for my ears and took blood and a swab of my ear. She also stated the labyrinthitis might take a month before it gets better. She also added that Clotrimazole would help in the event of a fungal infection. Do you think there is any further action that I could take if the symptoms do not improve next week?

#

If there is a suspicion of labyrinthitis, we need to give you steroids and strong antibiotics. Please get the hearing tests. Otherwise, you may suffer permanent loss of hearing.

|