Q. When do amylase and lipase levels become normal after heavy drinking episode?

Dr. Noushif M
Published on Jan 30, 2018

I drank for five days heavily and was admitted to a hospital with hangover and heartburn. They took the test and my amylase and lipase were little high. Then they gave me medicines. Past one week, I am taking Panblock morning and night and Encremin. My health is alright now but my amylase and lipase is little high. Can you give me a clear answer, when does it become normal? I am anxious about it and worried a lot about this test. I have stopped drinking forever. Can it reverse? Please help me. I am attaching my reports.

Dr. Noushif M

General Surgery Medical Gastroenterology Surgical Gastroenterology
#

I have seen the reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity). You had a mild attack of acute pancreatitis.

The amylase level shoots first and slowly decreases over two to three weeks. Lipase shoots slowly. No point in checking it very often as it usually takes time to normalize.

Yours looks like a mild attack only and not a severe one. Once you are symptom-free you can relax.

Get an amylase (amylase only, not lipase) after a month. Get an ultrasound scan also after a month.

The disease needs avoidance of precipitating factors so that further damage to the pancreas can be prevented.

Hope your queries have been cleared.

For more infotrmation consutl a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Can I take non-vegetarian food? Any changes in diet?

Dr. Noushif M

#

You can have non-vegetarian food. But avoid spicy, oily, and fried foods for the next few weeks.

For more information consult a medical gastroenterologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/medical-gastroenterologist

Will surgery for gallstones relieve my abdominal and back pain?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 34 year old female, who weighs 97 kg, and I am 5.9 feet tall. I have extreme pain in my upper abdomen and back. I also feel nauseous. I have a fatty liver and pancreas, and gallstones. Please help. I am attaching all my reports.  Read Full »

How to lower lipase and amylase levels?

Query: Hi doctor, I have got my routine body check up done in which my lipase has come elevated at 71 and amylase at 146. There is no nausea or fever, just upset stomach. Though I am not an alcoholic per se, before the test I was abroad for two weeks and was drinking two beers every day. Since childh...  Read Full »