Q. Can alcohol induce AF?

Answered by Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Atrial Fibrillation or Arrhythmias? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 23 years old. I had alcohol induced AF after consuming vodka. I consumed roughly the same amount two nights before. AF seemed to start after vomiting. I was cardioverted after 12 hours. I was informed by the doctor that this was alcohol induced. He advised me to avoid alcohol for a month, and probably it will not happen again. I have a history of alcohol abuse. My chest x-ray is normal. I had a follow-up 24-hour ECG and echo. Will AF recur?Is it ever safe to drink again? Is there a likelihood of congenital problem? My father had similar episode 40 years ago after drinking Port wine, and it was told as due to sediment. Could sediment cause AF? I do not have congenital heart disease as far as I am aware. I would have asked my doctor these questions, but Midazolam had made me sleepy. My blood reports are normal except potassium deficiency at that time. Thanks for your help.