Q. Can alcohol induce AF?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay
Published on Feb 04, 2017

I am 23 years old. I had alcohol induced AF after consuming vodka. I consumed roughly the same amount two nights before. AF seemed to start after vomiting. I was cardioverted after 12 hours. I was informed by the doctor that this was alcohol induced. He advised me to avoid alcohol for a month, and probably it will not happen again. I have a history of alcohol abuse. My chest x-ray is normal. I had a follow-up 24-hour ECG and echo. Will AF recur?Is it ever safe to drink again? Is there a likelihood of congenital problem? My father had similar episode 40 years ago after drinking Port wine, and it was told as due to sediment. Could sediment cause AF? I do not have congenital heart disease as far as I am aware. I would have asked my doctor these questions, but Midazolam had made me sleepy. My blood reports are normal except potassium deficiency at that time. Thanks for your help.

#

• You were told by the attending cardiologist who did cardioversion, a life-saving measure, to avoid alcohol as it precipitates another AF (atrial fibrillation) especially after vomiting. Please say no to alcohol as AF can recur again and not safe for you.
  • If potassium level is still low, then you need correction. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

Whenever I drink alcohol, I feel itchy. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears. What could the reason? Please explain.  Read Full >>

Dr. Eriol Braholli
General Surgeon

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Itching and flushing may occur with alcohol consumption as an allergic reaction or if there is any deficiency of the enzyme, which destroys alcohol metabolite (Acetaldehyde). Liver diseases may also lead to these symptoms if you are an alcohol consumer for a long time....  Read Full

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Hitesh Kumar

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It is normal to practice a thing many times to learn it properly. After taking alcohol, there is euphoria phase, in which you may have a perception of betterment. But, it is just a perception and not a real memory. Instead, regular alcohol intake can harm your brain dire...  Read Full