Q. Can alcohol induce AF?

Dr. Amiya Kumar Chattopadhyay

I am 23 years old. I had alcohol induced AF after consuming vodka. I consumed roughly the same amount two nights before. AF seemed to start after vomiting. I was cardioverted after 12 hours. I was informed by the doctor that this was alcohol induced. He advised me to avoid alcohol for a month, and probably it will not happen again. I have a history of alcohol abuse. My chest x-ray is normal. I had a follow-up 24-hour ECG and echo. Will AF recur?Is it ever safe to drink again? Is there a likelihood of congenital problem? My father had similar episode 40 years ago after drinking Port wine, and it was told as due to sediment. Could sediment cause AF? I do not have congenital heart disease as far as I am aware. I would have asked my doctor these questions, but Midazolam had made me sleepy. My blood reports are normal except potassium deficiency at that time. Thanks for your help.

#

• You were told by the attending cardiologist who did cardioversion, a life-saving measure, to avoid alcohol as it precipitates another AF (atrial fibrillation) especially after vomiting. Please say no to alcohol as AF can recur again and not safe for you.
  • If potassium level is still low, then you need correction. Consult your doctor, discuss with him or her and take treatment with consent.

For further information consult a cardiologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cardiologist

| 

Why does alcohol make me itch?

Query: Hi doctor, Whenever I drink alcohol, I am getting itchy in my scalp, face and behind the ears. What could the reason? Please explain.  Read Full »

After drinking beer, my brain works fast. How?

Query: Hi doctor, My brain is not working properly. I have very poor concentration power. I am taking a long time to learn any kind of things in comparison to others. When I drink beer, my brain will work very fast for two to three days and I can do much work easily. Please suggest the medicine to improve ...  Read Full »