Q. I am having a sudden onset of little itchy bumps in the body. What to do?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N
Published on Dec 07, 2019

So for the past couple of weeks, I have been very itchy and will break out in little bumps. I went to the doctor to find out if it was an allergic reaction or something else but they were not very helpful. They prescribed me Desonide for the breakouts. I have been using it but it has not helped with the itching. I also talked to a pharmacist and she asked if I had ever had experience with eczema and I did when I was a baby, but I thought I had grown out of it. She recommended me taking Claritin for the itching and using a moisturizing lotion and to continue using the Desonide. I have been doing this for a couple of days and I am still itching like crazy. I do not know what else to do.

Dr. Sudhir Kumar N

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon
#

I have read your query. Profuse itching over your body leading to a little red bumps could be an urticaria or an allergic reaction. Since it is from two weeks it can be acute urticaria. Urticaria uaually comes down in 24 - 48 hours to appear in other areas. These can also be called as hives.

Complete blood count along with differential count
IgE (immunoglobulin E).

Acute urticaria.

Anti-pruritic creams like Sarna or Ritch cream. Can use steroid like Mometosone if the itching is persistent over the area.
If there are too much of red bumps and itching is not controlled you can use a low dose oral steroid Prednisone 5 mg for a week along with oral antihistaminics Hydroxyzine 10 mg in the night and Fexofenadine 120 mg in the morning time.

| 

Baby has white patch on cheeks though pimples are gone. Is it seborrheic dermatitis?

Query: Hello doctor, My 1 and a half month old baby is having mild cradle cap and cluster of red pimples on his face. The area is quite dry even though the pimples are gone. This has left a white patch or discoloration on his cheeks. Is this atopic dermatitis or seborrheic dermatitis? How long will it l...  Read Full »

How to treat itchy bumps and rashes in the genital area?

Query: Hi doctor, I have rashes on my leg and arms. It started a month ago. I am applying steroid cream for that. Two days back started appearing in genital areas too. Kindly help me.  Read Full »

Are dermatographism and hives similar?

Query: Hi doctor, I went to a dermatologist last week, and she told me that I have dermographism. It started last month. How long does it take to go away? I have little bumps in my stomach such as hives, just like a pimple. I have a doubt, can hives pop like a little simple bump or only occur in clusters?...  Read Full »