Q. I got some rashes on my hands after carrying iron rods. What could it be due to?

Dr. Kumaresan Muthuvel

Dear doctor,

I am a 66 year old male. No diabetes, no hypertension with normal lipid limits. I am working in a remote area where no medical facility is available. Since last week, I have a rash on my right hand with a rose circle that has several watery eruptions. It is only in the hand. The ones I have near my right thumb and its back near the nail are painful. Not much itching except for some occasional itching near the rosy area. No rash in other areas. I have taken some photos of those eruptions for your perusal. So far no fever. A local RMP advised an antibacterial ointment but it does not work much. I traveled on a motorbike as a pillion rider holding some iron rods at the back. Soon after the ride, I noticed these eruptions. I feared it is chicken pox. I wait for your advice. Regards.

#

I went through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are having herpes zoster. This is a viral infection.

I suggest taking the following tablet. Valtoval (Valacyclovir) 1 g thrice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. The infection will subside in seven days. You might experience some pain for 30 days.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

I shall take the medicine as suggested. Can I take bath? What medicine may I take for the pain near the thumb which is believed to be the first infection contact area? I have Paracetamol 500 mg and Ibuprofen 200 mg available in this area.

#

For the pain, you can take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.

Pain is expected for a month's time. Take the painkiller only if the pain is severe.

|