Q. I got some rashes on my hands after carrying iron rods. What could it be due to?

Answered by
Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Apr 14, 2018

Dear doctor,

I am a 66 year old male. No diabetes, no hypertension with normal lipid limits. I am working in a remote area where no medical facility is available. Since last week, I have a rash on my right hand with a rose circle that has several watery eruptions. It is only in the hand. The ones I have near my right thumb and its back near the nail are painful. Not much itching except for some occasional itching near the rosy area. No rash in other areas. I have taken some photos of those eruptions for your perusal. So far no fever. A local RMP advised an antibacterial ointment but it does not work much. I traveled on a motorbike as a pillion rider holding some iron rods at the back. Soon after the ride, I noticed these eruptions. I feared it is chicken pox. I wait for your advice. Regards.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon


Welcome to icliniq.com.

I went through the images (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

You are having herpes zoster. This is a viral infection.

I suggest taking the following tablet. Valtoval (Valacyclovir) 1 g thrice a day for five days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines with their consent. The infection will subside in seven days. You might experience some pain for 30 days.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Thank you doctor,

I shall take the medicine as suggested. Can I take bath? What medicine may I take for the pain near the thumb which is believed to be the first infection contact area? I have Paracetamol 500 mg and Ibuprofen 200 mg available in this area.

Dr. (prof.) Kumaresan Muthuvel

Cosmetology Dermatology Hair Transplant Surgeon


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

For the pain, you can take Paracetamol and Ibuprofen.

Pain is expected for a month's time. Take the painkiller only if the pain is severe.

For more information consult a cosmetologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/cosmetologist

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Why do my lips get tender and swollen every two months?

Query: Hi doctor,I would like to give an insight into my problem, with started ending of last year. I noticed that I have some dry skin on my lower lip and a very small scab just underneath it. I ignored the same and thought it is due to winter. Five months back, I had a tender lower lip, which eventually ...  Read Full »

Are body pain, headache and skin rashes symptoms of dengue?

Query: Hi doctor, My daughter is 10 years old. For the past eight days, she has been suffering from body pain, headache, and some skin irritation. Her doctor said that it is pitta acidity. There is no improvement till date. Last year, during rainy season, she had some face and body irritation problem, whic...  Read Full »

Whom should I consult for herpes zoster?

Query: Hello doctor, I have herpes zoster. Should I consult a dermatologist or a general physician? My age is 24. What kind of diet has to be taken?  Read Full »



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Cosmetologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.