Q. How to convince a cannabis addict to take his medication?

Dr. Parth Nagda

A patient who is Chars(hashish) addict and suffering from severe anger, aggressiveness is thinking that his mother and sister are against him. Doctor suggested a capsule Co-Depricap (olanzapine-fluoxetine) for him to take once every night. But the patient is not cooperating. He took medicine in front of us but did not swallow it. Instead, he threw it after some time. He is doing this each night. We have tried convincing him, but all in vain. His condition is getting worse day by day. So please suggest something that how we can give him medicine.

#

These are symptoms of acute psychosis, which leads to suspiciousness, hallucinations, and delusions. It happens due to a chemical imbalance of certain neurotransmitters in the brain. Levels of dopamine are usually increased, and medicines will help reduce the level and restore the balance. Psychiatrists usually prescribe medicines like anti-psychotics.

Most such patients do not comply with medicines. So, in that case, there are other options that you can discuss with your psychiatrist. Some medicines can be given in food or water or any beverage which are tasteless, colorless, and odorless. Once acute symptoms are reduced, the patient should comply with medicines.

I suggest you give Haloperidol 1.5mg twice a day along with Trihexyphenidyl 2mg twice a day for one week. Then, raise the dose of Haloperidol to 5mg twice a day after one week. This is available as a dispersible form, as mentioned above. Also, there are depot injections which can be given once a month or two months. I hope this was helpful.

|