Q. Is it normal to not want to go anywhere near your husband?

Answered by
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 12, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 21, 2021

Hello doctor,

Is it normal to not want to be anywhere near your husband? He is not abusive in any way, he just belittles everyone around him. I do not want to go to work or anywhere, I just want to stay home while he is not at home. I am unhappy and I do not feel like myself. I just want to feel normal again. I need advice on what I should do to feel normal again. The medicines I am on are Spironolactone, Amitriptyline, Clindamycin gel, Finacea foam, Allegra, and Zantac.



Welcome to

I can understand your concern. It is painful to have such feeling.

  • Before going into the details, I would like to know few details.
  1. He is not abusive, but is there any particular dispute between both of you?
  2. You have mentioned that he belittles everyone. Does he belittle you in some particular things, on purpose? If yes, what are those things?
  3. How is his nature? Is he a caring husband?
  4. Do you have any history of a depressive disorder?
  5. Is there any history of low mood, reduced energy, lack of motivation, lack of interest in anything, bad thoughts, etc.?
  6. You have mentioned that you want to stay home when he is not there and you do not want to go to work or anywhere else. Is this because of him or due to some other reason?
  7. Do you feel bad for these symptoms?
  • Such symptoms could be occurring due to depression but should be evaluated properly. Depression could lead to anhedonia and lack of interest. Depression might lead to apathetic behavior. Please visit a psychiatrist, for evaluation of your symptoms.
  • Medicines like SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) or SNRI (serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor) can help to come out of depression and will bring back the lost feeling again. Fluoxetine, Escitalopram, or Paroxetine, etc. can be used to improve the symptoms, and you will feel better.
  • With proper medicines, your symptoms will go in about four weeks. The medicines are safe to use and free of serious side effects.

Revert with more information to a psychiatrist online -->

Thank you doctor,

Usually, we have arguments about our kids. I have a 9 year old son, and he has a 7 year old son, and both live with us. We have been together since his son was a year old. He is very hard on both boys and loses his temper a lot. Not physically, but just screaming goes on and on. He screams and does not know when to stop. I usually step in because I feel he is being ridiculous and overreacting. He even calls them and me stupid sometimes. He is caring at times but not often. I have never had any depression diagnosis, but I have also never felt the way I do lately. I do not have any history of the symptoms I have right now. I just like to be at home when it is peaceful, and I do not have anxiety about what he is going to get angry about next. My job is not terrible. Definitely not my dream job, but it is manageable. One of my best friend works there with me as a matter of fact. I do feel bad for feeling this way, but I am not sure what I need to do to help myself feel normal again. Sometimes, I do not even want to eat.



Welcome back to

  • He has issues related to anger and he sometimes screams on the children. His persistent anger had resulted in the symptoms you are having.
  • I will not label these symptoms as depressive symptoms, but these are occurring due to ongoing situations and thus we can put these in adjustment disorder. You want to stay peaceful when he is not there and this is part of adjustment disorder.
  • First of all, make a list of things that are bothering you most. Find out the points at which he behaves badly and you feel bad about that. Once you make a list of the situations or his maladaptive behavior, then arrange it in the least harmful to most bothering. Now try to ignore the least bothering things and avoid getting angry over these things.
  • Try to distract yourself or if possible do relaxation exercise and yoga. Then focus on the things that cannot be suppressed or ignored. Talk with him regarding about these things, and explain to him that you feel bad because of his behavior and anger, and you will not tolerate his behavior.
  • You can work with your husband on his symptoms, and this will definitely help in managing his anger. Find out positive things in him and disqualify the negative things of him.
  • Do not generalize the things, and remain relaxed during his maladaptive behavior. Focus on his positive things, ignore the negative things.
  • Do not maximize his bad behavior, and try to ignore his bad things. With time you will learn to ignore his bad behavior, and he will also shape his behavior. This will help in better functioning and will develop the feelings again which you are used to having.

For more information consult a psychiatrist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Depression - Awareness, Self-Diagnosis, and Treatment Modalities

According to statistics provided by WHO, depressive disorders are predicted to be the major cause of mortality and morbidity in the world in the next three years ...   Read full

Thoughts about my breakup haunt me and I feel lonely. Please help.

SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) like Escitalopram and Sertraline will help you in early recovery ...   Read full

I lack confidence in myself and cannot talk to new people. Please help me.

Do meditation for 20 minutes ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask a Psychiatrist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.