I am experiencing an acne outbreak. Are steroids I take for joint pain causing it?

Q. Do steroids taken for joint pain cause acne outbreak?

Dr. Dilip Kumar Meena
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana
This is a premium question & answer published on May 25, 2022 and last reviewed on: Sep 12, 2023

I recently started experiencing an acne outbreak. I am in my mid-thirties, and I never had acne growing up. However, the attack began two years ago after I started experiencing joint issues. The doctor gave me a steroid for my joint pain, and since then, I have had an outbreak of acne. Please advise, doctor. Thank you.

#

I can understand your concern. You seem to have late-onset acne. It can start at any age but is more common in the 20s or 30s. Genetics and hormonal disturbances influence the condition and can be associated with or without the polycystic ovarian disease (PCOD) or menstrual irregularities. You will require oral antibiotics as well as topicals. If you have any sudden weight gain or irregular menstrual cycles, kindly contact a gynecologist or endocrinologist. I suggest you take the following medications (consult with a specialist doctor, talk with him or her and take the medicines with their consent). Take Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg for three consecutive days. Use Ointment Adapalene - Benzoyl Peroxide, apply on acne once at night in a tiny amount without rubbing it. Use Salicylic acid face wash. Follow-up after one month is advised. Avoid too many sweets, whole cream milk, and chocolates. Also, please do not pick the lesions. Thank you.

|