Q. How good is Albenza for a raccoon roundworm exposure?

Published on May 30, 2019

I am concerned about a possible raccoon roundworm exposure. I have read that I can take a prophylactic 10-day course of Albenza to keep any eggs from entering my CNS. I might have type 2 diabetes for a while and have put off bloodwork to find out. I am a glaucoma suspect based on the last eye exam. How hard is Albenza on the body? Is it generally well tolerated for many days? Do immediate side effects get better after a few days?

Critical Care Physician Diabetology General Medicine Internal Medicine Medical Gastroenterology Nephrology Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors) Rheumatology
#

Albendazole 400 mg single star dose is enough for prophylactic deworming. 10 days course is not required. Usually, it is very safe and is well tolerated. A rare side effect is a seizure, that can happen if the worm is already lying dormant in your CNS. I generally prefer a three-day course of Mebendazole 100 mg twice daily as it does not enter CNS and so there are no changes of seizures. I hope it helps. If you have any further queries, please ask me.

According to the CDC, the recommended dosage for possible raccoon roundworm exposure prophylaxis is 25 to 50 mg or kg per day for 10 days. What side effects might occur in a 10-day course that will not happen on a shorter course?

#

The recommended dosage is right, but it is done if suspicion is very high. There are no major side effects with 10 days dosage too as compared to single dose prophylaxis. However less than 10 % of people suffer from headache and liver enzyme elevation. The only possible serious side effect is seizure that can happen with single dose too. To reduce the cost, when we are having a low level of suspicion, we give a single dose prophylaxis. Please consult your doctor before you act upon this 10-day dosage schedule. I hope it helps you. Please ask me if any further queries you have.

Please suggest home remedies for hot sensation in the anus.

Query: Hi doctor, What are some of the home remedies for burning sensation of the Anus? What is the reason for this burning sensation? It happens whenever I eat outside food. Though I did not eat more spicy food, why it is happening.  Read Full »

I had given a wrong dosage of Albendazole to my baby. Is there a problem?

Query: Hello doctor, My baby is 1 year 2 months old. The doctor prescribed Albendazole 5 ml-5 ml two doses in half an hour interval but by mistake, I had given 10 ml-10 ml dose of Albendazole. So, is there any problem?  Read Full »

Can I give two doses of Albendazole to my 1.5-month-old baby in a short interval?

Query: Hi doctor, My son is 1 year 5 month old now. He was treated with Albid suspension for worm before two months. Again he has same symptoms of worm infection now. What can I do? Is it safe to give him Albid or other medicine for worm within short interval of two months? Please suggest.  Read Full »