Q. Will Nimesulide affect HIV post-exposure prophylaxis treatment?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I am on a post-exposure prophylaxis. Today is the eighth day. Today I was diagnosed with tonsillitis. The doctor told me to take Nimesulide. Does it make HIV treatment fail? Please, help me.

#

It depends upon what drugs you have been given as post-exposure prophylaxis. Nimesulide does have a few drug interactions although not to the extent of causing drug failure. Kindly mention the drugs you are using for PEP.

These are the drugs I am taking. Tenofovir Fumarato desoproxila, Lamivudina (300 mg each), Norvir, Ritonavir 100 mg, Atazanavir sulfate 300 mg.

#

Thanks for mentioning the drugs used.

Nimesulide is a banned drug in many countries all over the world, in view of its serious side effects on the liver. In combination with post-exposure prophylaxis, the risk for side effects does increase further. Although the drug does not affect the efficacy of the other anti-HIV medicines, it is not advisable for use together in view of combined effects on the liver. There are many easily available alternatives for Nimesulide, such as Paracetamol or Diclofenac, which are safer and can be used together with PEP medication.

|