Q. Will Nimesulide affect HIV post-exposure prophylaxis treatment?

Dr. Rakesh Kumar Bahunuthula

I am on a post-exposure prophylaxis. Today is the eighth day. Today I was diagnosed with tonsillitis. The doctor told me to take Nimesulide. Does it make HIV treatment fail? Please, help me.

#

It depends upon what drugs you have been given as post-exposure prophylaxis. Nimesulide does have a few drug interactions although not to the extent of causing drug failure. Kindly mention the drugs you are using for PEP.

These are the drugs I am taking. Tenofovir Fumarato desoproxila, Lamivudina (300 mg each), Norvir, Ritonavir 100 mg, Atazanavir sulfate 300 mg.

#

Thanks for mentioning the drugs used.

Nimesulide is a banned drug in many countries all over the world, in view of its serious side effects on the liver. In combination with post-exposure prophylaxis, the risk for side effects does increase further. Although the drug does not affect the efficacy of the other anti-HIV medicines, it is not advisable for use together in view of combined effects on the liver. There are many easily available alternatives for Nimesulide, such as Paracetamol or Diclofenac, which are safer and can be used together with PEP medication.

| 

Is the OraQuick HIV home testing really accurate?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a male who had unprotected intercourse two days ago with a female who had tested negative on Oralquick two months ago. Turns out she has been quite active and I am debating on doing PEP. I can see her on Tuesday and she said will take another test but that will be 96 hours. I can s...  Read Full »

Can fever medicine cause dry mouth?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a female, 24 years old. I had a slight fever past month, so I went to a pharmacist, he gave me two doses of Nimesulide Paracetamol tablets and some quick relief tablet (having Chlorpheniramine, Phynelpherine, Hydrochloric and Guaiphenesin salt). My fever went away, but I had a dry m...  Read Full »

I had vaginal intercourse and condom broke. Am I at the risk of HIV?

Query: Hello doctor, Two weeks ago I had a scare. I had vaginal intercourse with a girl from the bar and the condom broke and I removed immediately. I asked her about her status and she stated clean. There was some blood on the bed from her after. I started PEP within 24 hours from the clinic, they gave m...  Read Full »

Does CD marker help in identification of blood cancer?
Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male suffering from joint pain and pain in the knees. I also have nausea, vomiting, gynec...  Read more»
I suddenly got fainted and woked up with bruising in eyes. Why?
Hi doctor,I am 28 years old with normal weight and following a vegetarian diet. Last month, I fainted at home and my fri...  Read more»

Ask a HIV AIDS Specialist Now