Q. Can taking pre-exposure prophylaxis and rabies boosters after eight months of exposure help?

Dr. Chandwadkar Ashish

Eight months bank a street dog scratched my hand. I was dumb and stupid enough then. I did not take any vaccines. Now I am very worried and highly panicked. If I take pre-exposure prophylaxis and rabies boosters now, will it save my life? Rabies symptoms have still not appeared in me but I fear that it will appear in future. Please guide me. I do not wanna die.

#

Well, rabies virus starts showing its signs in your body between a time frame of 1 to 3 months to one year (depends on type and location of exposure). Now, if you were scratched and there was no bleeding we consider it as category 2 dog bite. Initial symptoms of rabies can be fever with pain and unusual or unexplained tingling, pricking, or burning sensation at the bite site and other signs related to the nervous system. If you do not have the above then relax and yeah next time you are bitten seek immediate medical help and get vaccinated. Well, do keep in mind the above things and do follow the animal behavior next time for any furiousness or abnormality in case of delay of vaccine from your side.

|