Q. As I am diabetic and hypertensive, I am concerned about my albumin-creatinine ratio. Please help.

Dr. Tarek Algamal

I am a 30-year-old male. I have diabetes and hypertension. I am taking the following medicines.

Telpres 40 twice a day, Zomelis 50 mg/1000 mg twice a day, and Etilaam S- 10 once in the night.

Yesterday I did a microalbumin-creatinine ratio test which is 67:93. Is this ratio high? I am worried about it. Please help.

#

Welcome to icliniq.com. ACR (albumin to creatinine ratio) of 30-300 equals what is called microalbuminuria.

It is an effect of diabetes on the kidney.

Telmisartan is a good treatment for it.

Good control of diabetes, and also good control of blood pressure (below 130/80 mmHg) are mandatory to avoid deterioration.

Follow up of this test is recommended every three months as long as it is 30-300.

I am tensed as my ratio is high. Are any tests or medicines required?

#

Tell me about HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) and how much is your blood pressure?

No need to be tense.

My HbA1c is 6.9 and my blood pressure is 130/80 mmHg.

#

Continue the same treatment and repeat the microalbuminuria test after three months. Do renal functions also.

Please avoid a high salt diet.

Make the protein content in your diet moderate, not high or not low.

Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.

|