Q. As I am diabetic and hypertensive, I am concerned about my albumin-creatinine ratio. Please help.

Dr. Tarek Algamal
Published on Nov 05, 2019

I am a 30-year-old male. I have diabetes and hypertension. I am taking the following medicines.

Telpres 40 twice a day, Zomelis 50 mg/1000 mg twice a day, and Etilaam S- 10 once in the night.

Yesterday I did a microalbumin-creatinine ratio test which is 67:93. Is this ratio high? I am worried about it. Please help.

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Welcome to icliniq.com. ACR (albumin to creatinine ratio) of 30-300 equals what is called microalbuminuria.

It is an effect of diabetes on the kidney.

Telmisartan is a good treatment for it.

Good control of diabetes, and also good control of blood pressure (below 130/80 mmHg) are mandatory to avoid deterioration.

Follow up of this test is recommended every three months as long as it is 30-300.

I am tensed as my ratio is high. Are any tests or medicines required?

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Tell me about HbA1c (glycated hemoglobin) and how much is your blood pressure?

No need to be tense.

My HbA1c is 6.9 and my blood pressure is 130/80 mmHg.

Dr. Tarek Algamal

Nephrology
#

Continue the same treatment and repeat the microalbuminuria test after three months. Do renal functions also.

Please avoid a high salt diet.

Make the protein content in your diet moderate, not high or not low.

Avoid smoking and alcohol consumption.

Hypertension - How Aware Are You?

Article Overview: This simple quiz tests your knowledge and teaches you hypertension facts. Read Article

Dr. Saumya Mittal

Please check the answer key and get to know how much you know about hypertension based on your score. 0-3: You need to learn more 3-6: A little more knowledge is good for health > 6: Keep updating yourself Question 1: Hypertensive patients should avoid exercise a) True b) False Answer:...  Read Article

Kindly explain my blood test results done for autoimmune disease.

Query: Hello doctor, I received CBC and CMP blood test results. Info points to kidney issues but dismissed as nothing by my doctor. I would like your opinion. Key points outside normal range: WBC 12.66, hematocrit 45, eosinophils .5, absolute neutrophils 8.76, absolute monocytes .91, BUN 26, creatinine 1....  Read Full >>

Dr. Tarek Algamal
Nephrologist

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Attached investigations do not show evidence of autoimmune condition (attachment removed to protect patient identity). But it shows some impairment in kidney functions as GFR is lower than normal and creatinine is 1.4. This could be an effect of longstanding hyperten...  Read Full

Diabetes

Article Overview: The number of people being diagnosed with diabetes is drastically increasing. To know how diabetes affects your heart, kidney, and brain, read the article. Read Article

Dr. K Sneha
Diabetologist

What Is Diabetes? Diabetes or diabetes mellitus is a condition that affects how your body uses blood glucose or blood sugar. Glucose is an important source of energy for the cells in the body, and it is the main source of fuel of the brain. There are many types of diabetes depending on the cause, b...  Read Article

Ask a Nephrologist Now